force125 flywheel has alot of pressure behind it

stoudt21

Cadet
when i try to start my engine my starter shoots up fast and then cant turn the wheel. so it took jumper cables from my car battery (with it still on) and connected it to the starter thinking that i might have a bad starter.but still it would shoot up and then barely turn the fly wheel. so i tried to manually turn the flywheel but there was way to much pressure behind the flywheel. any ideas of what is wrong?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: force125 flywheel has alot of pressure behind it

Check your gearlube and see how the sparkplugs are burning. There should be dark brown deposits and they should look slightly damp. Gearlube should be clean and full to the vent (upper) plug.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Pull the plugs and and see how the starter turns it over
should turn really fast.It should turn pretty easy with
your hand as well.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Some of these starters just do not jump start well. Try hooking up a known good battery to the outboard cables.

stoudt21

Cadet

i bought a new battery today because i know that my batteries are old, i also just changed out my gear lube in the lower unit, and i pulled out the spark plugs just to see what would happen and the flywheel would spin alot easier. i havent put the new battery in yet but i will try it. i took my starter to discount auto and had it tested and they told me that it was working fine. so hopefully it was just the battery. does anyone know what type of battery is recomended for a force 125hp? the one that we had originally in there had a cold cranking amp rating of 675, is that about what its suppose to be?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

675 cca is more than adequate.
A 450 cca, or even a 450 mca battery should do it.

Make sure you get all the connections clean and tight.

stoudt21

Cadet

well i hooked up the new batteries and spark plugs, but when i went to turn it on it still does the same thing, but i noticed that the starter is spinning backwards because it will not shoot up to the flywheel, i have to push it up so i turned it the way it was spinning and it wouldnt go up so i then turned it the other way and it forced it up. whats wrong? i checked to make sure cables were hooked up right but there is no way they could be backwards because the cables arent long enough to reach the opposite poles????

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

There is usually a difference in terminal size too. That usually prevents cross-polairty. But if the starter motor is spinning the wrong way, the battery has to be connected backwards. (CCW looking down is correct) Black - (small terminal), Red + (large terminal). If it's connected backwards, you'll need a new voltage regulator. Most everything else usually survives. Some electronics might not (like stereo).

Make sure it's connected right on the motor too. Red to the start solenoid, black to a ground screw.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I'm not sure but I don't think reversing the polarity to the starter will reverse the rotation.I do know that on older starters if you rotate the end plate(brush plate)180 degrees the starter will run backwards.Perhaps when they checked the starter they got the the end plate on 180 degrees out.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I helped my neighboor with a merc 25 HP starter. When we put it together the cover was put on backwards as spike mentioned and the starter spun counter clockwise. There is a north and south pole on those magnets and they will determine which direction the motor will spin. If you took it apart this could be what is wrong. Either way it sounds like the starter needs to be taken apart and cleaned then reassembled.

stoudt21

Cadet

thanks alot guys i will try that and see if it gets any better. as for all the pressure behind the flywheel should my starter beable to turn it? it is very hard to turn by hand. and before i took the starter off the motor when it was spinning in the correct direction it wouldnt turn the flywheel. any ideas about that?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

That would seem to be a separate problem. The three most likely sources for a hard-turning flywheel is cylinder damage from lack of lubrication, cylinder damage from overheating, or a stiff gearcase from a failed bearing.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Take the spark plugs out and see if that helps turning it. Next you may want to take the lower unit off. If plugs and lower unit are removed and it is still stuck your motor is siezed.

stoudt21

Cadet

i took the plugs out and it was very easy to turn so i know the motor is not seized. someone told me that the decompression valve might not be working properly?? is there such a valve??

4darren

Cadet

could be hydro lock. crank it with the plugs out and see if liquid comes out (after your starter is spining the right way around of course). i had a similar problem on a different engine, turned out it was a leaking carb. Fuel ran into the lowest cylinder. You can't compress a liquid thus, it severley damaged my rings, I got off light: I've heard people have cracked heads this way.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Could be the motor has really good compression and your starter is shot. 145 compression along with the torque from the water pump will make it real hard to turn. Get your starter problem figured out first. If you do choose to start without plugs in make sure you ground out the plug wires. If you have a prestolite ignition you will fry it out if you dont.,

stoudt21

Cadet

ok thanks guys i will try these things