Zebra muscle flush kit?

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's official Lake Mead has the Zebra Muscle. For those of you not familiar with the Left Coast (AKA California), we have agriculture check points at each entrance to the state. Now they will be inspecting every boat entering the state. All boats entering must be free of Zebra Muscles. To asure this we need to use a 5% solution in the bilge and any where water is standing. They also want us to flush the engine with a 5% solution of bleach. This is my question. How do you flush an engine with a 5% solution of bleach and prove it? The only idea I have is to rig an in line fertilizer injector into my flush hose. But how do I know if I used enough bleach? I'm open to suggestions.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Zebra muscle flush kit?

Good question.
How can they enforce this rule/law? without any way to verify the act?

I'm sure they will require the flush of the live wells and baitwells too. Anchor ropes, water intakes, and even the carpet can harbor these buggers.

Now, how are they going to flush out the trailer frame rails, and the carpet on the bunks?

The larva is microscopic. Good Luck.

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I asked them what they were going to do the inspector said that they were not quite sure yet. He said they were going to enter every boat for an inspection and expected this to 5-10 mins.. He was stressed because there is a fishing tournament this weekend and he was expecting 200+ boats to come through his inspection station. Luckily I will only need to bring my boat back into Ca. from the lake house 1 or 2 times a year. I just want to be prepared. The Feds and The State just don't know what to do.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

if they were smart they should make u flush there with the so called 5%

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

We're dealing with the Government here. Smart has nothing to do with it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

According to a web page I just read, it will be a visible inspection, and a check to make sure the bilge is emptied. If not empty, you have to go to "an off site location" to empty it.

What a waste of time.
Nothing short of a HOT water pressure wash, or a bleach wash, of all surfaces can kill these buggers.

Or, they claim, if all surfaces are dried for 5 days, they will die.
But I don't believe that one.
Several boats were transported across the country, and were found to have live specimens in the water intakes and on the hull bottoms.