Kicker Motor

fishjohn

Recruit
I have a Fisher 14" Avenger with a 25 Hp Mercury 2 cycle engine. I have received conflicting Information regarding the application of a Kicker Mortor. Bass Tracker, the Manuafacture of Fisher, does not reccomend a gasoline kicker, and suggest taht I use a transom mounted Electric Motor instead. The Dealer Suggest that I use a 4 Hp. Mercury 4 Cycle Engine. I am looking for suggestions.

UpstNYer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Kicker Motor

Hi John,
Based on my experience, you should be fine if your main power unit is smaller and lighter than the maximum allowed for the hull and if your kicker is fairly light. The main issue, I believe, is transom strength. As a secondary issue, you don't want the boat to get so heavy at the stern that the stern rides too low when someone sits back there.

If you could find an old 5 horse 2-stroke of 35 to 45 lbs, that would be good. Don't know what the 4-strokes weigh but have heard they're heavier. Even if your main power is the max for your hull, you may be OK.

My boat's a little bigger than yours; it's an '02 Avenger Pro 16 SC with an '04 90 Merc 2 stroke for main power...max for the hull. Next to it sits a long shaft '81 Merc 9.8 electric start. The kicker's just clamped to the 'higher' part of the transom to the left of the 90. Chose the position carefully to make sure that the 9.8's as close to the centerline as possible without any possibility of hitting or being hit by the 90.

Before running the kicker with the 90 (used to have a 40), I contacted Fisher. They took some time responding, but finally said there should be no difficulty. So far, that's been true. To determine for myself beforehand whether the extra weight would make the stern ride too low, I simulated the weight of the kicker with sandbags and then sat in the stern. It rode low, but not too bad. Glad the 2-stroke Merc 90 is relatively light.

In my opinion, the 9.8 makes the boat a fisherman's dream. Don't have to keep crankin' up the big motor to reposition 30 ft., can troll at fractions of a mile per hour for hours on end, can run through weeds without fouling the big motor, docking is much easier, can explore shallow areas without worrying about expensive damage to the 90, got backup for getting home, plus it saves on gas.

For trolling, I just leave the big motor down and use its lower end as a rudder controlled from the wheel while the kicker stays centered and provides the power. Into the wind at very slow speeds, this doesn't work real well; but the rest of the time it ranges from OK to great.

I wasted a lot of time looking at fancy mountings and kicker steering gimmicks. Finally, one day I just grabbed the 9.8 and hung it on the transom. Best thing I ever did to that boat. Hanging the 90 back there was the second best.
Bob

Re: Kicker Motor

A 14 footer with a 25 horse, eh? Just spend a few hundred on a bow-mounted trolling motor. I had a 25hp on my 16' Fisher and now use a 35hp. They both dial down real well to a slow troll. In my opinion you don't need a kicker. Those are for the folks with bigger motors that can't run at an optimal slow speed for fishing.

Bow mounted motors are nice, especially if you get the kind that has the built-in auto pilot. I wish mine had that.