Oxy / Acet Torch Preference...

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
We have an older Smith HD at our shop and I am in the market for a "home farm torch". I've been looking here and there, but can't really find anything objective. Right now I'm leaning towards the Smith as I like the safety features and the in-head mixing (not to mention it's what I'm used to). What do you guys think? Of the three major brands (Harris, Smith, Victor), which do those of you that use them prefer and why.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Oxy / Acet Torch Preference...

I've got a set of Victors that has been bouncing around in the back of my pickup for 16+ Years,........

The only repairs in this time has been replacing the Hoses every 3/ 5 years,.......
Sun Rot ya know.....
And, I've had to replace a couple of the Gauges because of Water rusting the faces off,......
They worked, Just couldn't read them.....

If I were to do it Again,........ They'd be Victors......

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

about every shop I have worked in has used victor they seem to last forever. we recently had to replace our acetylene regulator the old one had to be about 30 years old. we go through tips and the cutting head due to the use they get rebuilding trash truck beds and other stuff. I would get what ever you can get parts for locally.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I've got a Victor set I bought about 25 years ago. Never had to do any repairs to the tourch head. I have had to rebuild both regulators (due to leaking diaphrams) and replace both guages on the oxygen regulator due to self inflicted damage. Replaced hase set one time and went to a 50 foot set. If I had to replace them I would buy the Victor set again.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Just like everybody else I like the Victor. I have a Victor that about 26" long that we use for rough work. For other stuff I have a Victor thats about 14" long, works good for everything up to about 3/8. I then have a little bitty Smith, about 8" long. I don't know what you would use it for or if you would ever run a bottle dry with it, tiny as can be. I bought a box of tools at a garage sale for a dollar and it was in there. It works too!

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 30+ yrs Victor that I inherited from my Dad. I had to have the handle rebuilt after my neighbor borrowed it. I don't know what the hell he did but the fist time I tried to light it up it blew up in my hand. The only injury I had was loss of hearing for a week. It was no problem finding some one to work on it and getting the parts. I have no experience with the other brands. When you purchase a good tool it should last forever.

P.S. Lesson learned: No one borrows my acetylene torch. Don't ask!

Bondo

Staff member

P.S. Lesson learned: No one borrows my acetylene torch. Don't ask!

Ayuh,.......
I consider My Blue-Tip Wrench to be a Surgical Tool.........8)