opions please..saturn vue?

dansoph

Petty Officer 3rd Class
does anyone have an opion about saturn vue? we looked at a couple of saturns today. i don't know anything about these cars. are they reliable, good on gas, safe? my wife drives 100 miles a day { highway}she drives a minivan now and the kids are grown up now. no need for wallywagon anymore.we not looking at new only to save a couple of $. i drive a chevy p.u. and my daughters drive a grand cheroke. both gas pigs.any opions gladly accepted. thanks for any info

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: opions please..saturn vue?

2 People I work with love them.
My uncle has one, is not impressed, but he will likely drive it till it falls apart.
He says the gas mileage is not as good as expected, but he used to drive a Tercel.
He has the stripped down version with a 5 speed.

Whatever vehicle you decide you want, go rent one for 4-7 days and try it out.
Make sure the wife is comfy on the long commute.

ZmOz

Captain

I just got back from the auto show. I think that's the LAST car I would pick out of everything there...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Saturn Vue is 1st cousin to Chevy Equinox. Depends on how much you are looking to spend. IMO I tend to agree w/consumer reports.

Go to MSN Auto's and look up a Toyota Rav4 and you will see the Saturn Vue listed as a competitor... take a few minutes and read.

Now check KBB ot Edmunds or NADA and price out the same models from 4 years ago and re-compare.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

[quote i drive a chevy p.u. and my daughters drive a grand cheroke. both gas pigs.any opions gladly accepted. thanks for any info[/quote]

Dont expect much if any difference with the gas milage.I rented one on vacay and I thought the gas milage was about the same as my Grand Cherokee.Try not to get a lesser quality less safe vehicle because it claims to get a little better gas milage.It usually adds up to less than a few dollars a month.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I know a couple people at work that have them, and their biggest complaint is the handling in the snow. I suppose that has a lot to do with tires etc, but their cars are relatively new so I suspect there is stil some tread left.

tommays

Admiral

We have the Equinox and the gas is OK on road trips BUT real bad in town :(

Tommays

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The awd systems used in the equinox, saturn vue, honda crv and ford escape are the same. Power to the spinning wheels in the front and rear not true 4wd. Now look up the toyota ... it has a standard center differential lock.

If economy is what you are after stay away from awd and go with an economy car.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Only heard bad things about them. We have one in the company fleet and I do my best to get something else wach time.
But that is just what I have experienced and heard. (it is always the last one in the parking lot)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I think you would be happier with one of the Subaru wagons, I mean suv's.