Discontinued Mercury gas tanks?

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Hi,
I've been away from the forum and much thought about boating for a while and am surprised to see that the Mercury outboard gas tanks have been discontinued. I did a forum search but didn't come up with anything.

When did this happen, and any suggestions about where to buy a 6.6 one if they are still around?

At the end of last season I put off getting one for financial reasons, but I guess I shouldn't have...I thought I'd get one for spring. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Discontinued Mercury gas tanks?

Lakelover, There are many aftermarket gas tanks for outboards availible. Why do you want a ercury Tank?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I've got 3 of the metal tanks from the mid 80s. 25 litre ones, I think that is 5 imp gal or 6 US gal. They're sitting in a shed. Too bad shipping would cost more than they're worth.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Chris1956 said:
Lakelover, There are many aftermarket gas tanks for outboards availible. Why do you want a ercury Tank?

Well, I guess now it wouldn't have to be a Merc brand. What are some of the good aftermarket brands?

It was just sort of a shock to see that they had disappeared. I thought I remembered reading here in the past to steer clear of the aftermarkets, but if there are good ones, I'm game. Will save a little $$$ too.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Any farm or department store that sells boating supplies, WalMart, right here on iBoats, or any marine dealer has both 3 and 6 gallon portable tanks generally made by Tempo. They are cheap enough that if they need to be replaced in a few years you are not breaking your bank account. Just check inside for loose plastic particles. Dump them out if you find any and you are good to go.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks so far, anyone have experience with one brand over another?

I've located several on-line.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I hate to put a damper on the Tempo ultra 6 tank but I have 3 of them.I'm not impressed they are about 8 years old and spend at least half their life inside the boat house.None of the gauges work any more and haven't worked for some time.One tank the disconnect valve failed and it burped 6 gallons of gas out with the temperature changes over the week.Fortunately most went off the back of my pontoon boat.I don't think I am exagerating to say I've only had one failure with my 2 Factory OMC tanks, both over 22 years old.I do have a couple of after market metal tanks and I have had the same type of troubles with these as with the pollyTempos. If I could afford it I would go with factory tanks even if I had to adapt a different brand.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hey lakelover, its been a while, welcome back.

They are still selling them at mercurypartsexpress dot com
Several different shapes and styles, all plastic. And at really high prices.

Shop around, find one that fits your space needs the best.

" "I thought I remembered reading here in the past to steer clear of the aftermarkets" "

I'll bet they meant to steer clear of the cheap fuel lines and primer bulbs.

Most of the tanks out there are ok, but fit them with a quality fuel line and primer bulb.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

roscoe said:
Hey lakelover, its been a while, welcome back.

They are still selling them at mercurypartsexpress dot com
Several different shapes and styles, all plastic. And at really high prices.

Shop around, find one that fits your space needs the best.

" "I thought I remembered reading here in the past to steer clear of the aftermarkets" "

I'll bet they meant to steer clear of the cheap fuel lines and primer bulbs.

Most of the tanks out there are ok, but fit them with a quality fuel line and primer bulb.

Roscoe, thanks for the advice! Do you think the Tempo Ultra-M has a decent hose with it, or is this what's to be avoided? Otherwise, it's a matter of rigging up the correct hose fittings. http://www.iboats.com/mall/?session..._id=238173&list_time=1169954167&view_id=51620

I'll be dropping in once in a while.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Like many others, I like to stick with OEM hoses and bulbs, but even they can fail eventually.

So I like to shop around for an oem hose/bulb from Merc, and use it on whatever tank is available.

I've used plenty of cheap hoses too, some lasted a few years, some failed out of the box - usually the primer bulb will not work due to bad check valves.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Actually, I have a spare OMC tank & hose. I guess I could probably just lop off the OMC fitting on the motor end of the hose and put on a Mercury fitting that fits my motor? It's a 9.9 2- stroke.

Thanks for all the advice. I have plenty of time before the ice breaks up.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yep, that's what i would do. i've got several merc and omc tanks in the shed.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

On a 16 foot boat I'm putting together now, its a 12 gallon Tempo tank, OMC fitting/s to a Walmart hose/bulb, to a Merc fitting to a 150 merc. Works for me