HOW TO PAINT FIBERGLASS BOAT???

booboo7353

Cadet
I know a lot of yall out there have done this. I found a reasonably priced boat that needs painting. How much would i be looking at paying to do it myself or to pay someone? Also how would i paint the under side of the hull? What kind of paint i have heard that roll on paint works good. Just looking for help, pics, or how to's. Boat is a 21' bow rider.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: HOW TO PAINT FIBERGLASS BOAT???

booboo, Several years ago I had a professional spray my 16' speedboat with a two-part polyurethane. I did all the prep work including sanding it with 400grit paper. The price was $400, for a pretty small area, The paint was probably about $50/qt.

If you plan on trailering the boat, you can use a 1 part polyurethane paint, which are $15/qt. There is a roll and tip method to apply paint, but I have never used it. I would spray. If you have a compressor, the rest of the spray equipment is cheap. To paint the bottom, you either paint all but area under the supports, put it on the trailer, and paint the missed areas, or rig up some kind of sling supporting the boat some other way (Bow and stern eyes??)