back again

hrzracr23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
been gone for awhile I sorta lost interest in the project boat when I ran outta cash.To get everyone up to speed I acquired a 16 or 17 foot open bow with an 85 horse evinrude. I made the mistake of taking everything out all at once, thought it would be easier that way.

Then I ran out of cash so what I have now is a completely gutted boat. I am getting a decent tax return this year so money is there now I just need direction. So to sum up I have a shell it has no floor, no interior, and I also took out the rats nest of a wiring job.

While im at it I have to replace the steering cable and keyway? not sure what that is but thats what I was told and I also would like to to fix the power tilt trim so basically I need a laundry list of supplies I will need, cheapest place I can find them, and where do I start?

Im feeling very overwhelmed and I just want to get the boat back together for the upcoming season your help is appreciated apologies for the length and confusion of this post feel free to ask questions and if you check my old posts I put up pictures of the boat thanks ~josh

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: back again

Josh, i would break it down to reasonable task. you need to get it to a safe usable hull 1st, then the cosmetics.
1/ what ever needs to go under the floor. wiring, cables etc. 2/ get the floor and transom in. 3/ get engine and controlls mounted. at this point you can do a sea trial. 4/ now you can do cosmetics.. have an overall outline of what you want, and the equipment you want to use. i've done 8 boats in the last year, as a hobbie. sold alll but one,which i'm keeping. made just enough money to support my habit. shop wisely, ebay has kept my cost down, and i've sold off what i would normally throw away.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Josh, don't overlook the possability that now is a good time to "cut your losses" and walk away from this rebuild. Unless you have an outstanding engine it just isn't worth all that work I wouldn't think. You can buy one that runs fine forthe same as a total rebuild like that. Maybe sell some of the useabl parts from the one you have to offset any cost difference.

That is, unless you want the hobby of rebuilding one. Nothing wrong with that, just be open-eyed in that it is not really cost effective, that's all. If you don't have a true knack for fixing/wood work then it's REALLY a lot of tedious work I know, I'm in the middle of one I wish I wasn't but not too much left to do and I have a 200hp V-8 Mercruiser in great shape on it, which is hard to find on an older 19' BR (most have far less power or are kinda pricey for their age).

Good luck either way. eBay is definately a place to look for your needs, but still not much boat stuff is too cheap in good condition.

iwombat

Captain

I think approaching it in phases like that is a good idea. Once you get it on the water all that work will seem worthwhile. Until then, it's going to be a frustration taking up space.

hrzracr23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I definetly got this boat for the project I like having fun challenging hobbies I just feel Im in over my head lol so Im gonna be asking lots of questions hehe