steering cable length

teague611

Recruit
I'm needing to replace the steering cable's on my 1990 Stratos 285 Pro w/ Johnson 150. I took the measurements as outline in the guide, but I want to be sure befor I purchase the parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

D

DJ

Re: steering cable length

There is no better guide than the old cable.

whblaylock

Seaman Apprentice

teague611 said:
I'm needing to replace the steering cable's on my 1990 Stratos 285 Pro w/ Johnson 150. I took the measurements as outline in the guide, but I want to be sure befor I purchase the parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

whblaylock

Seaman Apprentice

Remove the old cable and you should be able to find a part number embossed on it. On my 98 fisher it was a teleflex and that was still the current number. I called around and found a local dealer who ordered the cable and saved me about $60 over everyone else. lots are sold with the helm as a kit and that is a good deal if you need both. wh

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree the old cable, then look at iboats store. if you don't see it call them.

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

Measure from the center of the helm to the gunnell, then to the stern, then to the center of the motor, round up to the next foot. Some only stock "even" number lengths, so keep looking if yours is "odd" ...

pman7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Curmudgeon said:
Measure from the center of the helm to the gunnell, then to the stern, then to the center of the motor, round up to the next foot. Some only stock "even" number lengths, so keep looking if yours is "odd" ...
I thought the rule was as you stated excepting to add 6" before you round up to the nearest foot if you are anchoring into a tilt tube. And if you are anchoring onto the splash wall you should subtract 6".