Evinrude lower unit

imported_Davec

Recruit
I have a 1989 evinrude 25HP model TE25ELCEB. The unit froze up on the forward bearing is froze to the shaft.
I can not get the drive shaft out with the bearing frozen on the shaft with the pinion gear still in the unit. Is there a way to remove the pinion gear while the drive shaft is still in the unit. If not does anyone have any suggestions on getting the shaft and bearing out. I also am trying to find what other year and HP units are interchangeable with mine in case I can find something on ebay.
Thanks for any help I can get.
Dave

imported_Davec

Recruit
Re: Evinrude lower unit

Thanks,
I have a parts breakdwon . Just can't get the shaft out with the bearing, forward gear and pinion gear still in. I think the pinion gear drops out if you have the shaft out. uUnfortunately with the shaft still in I can't get the pinion gear out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

My guess is that you are going to have to get inventive. Flood it real good with PB Blaster and somehow rig up a slide hammer tool to the shaft to yank it out. Good luck

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Dave....is the shift yoke assembly and clutch dog out?

As FR posted, soak it down good (drowned it) in PB Blaster and let it soak. Can you tell if the forward gear is froze to the prop shaft also?

Is this rust we are talking about or what?

imported_Davec

Recruit

Thanks guys,
I have everything out with the exception of the drive shaft, pinion gear, the forward gear and bearing. I tried soaking overnight with Breakfree with no success. But sounds like I need to keep trying. In my old Navy days we used wintergreen oil to free stuff up so I may try that if I can find it. The motor has never been in salt water but apparently the seal leaked over the winter and mts have been leaking for awhile and got water in it to rust up the gear and bearing. Thanks for your help and I'll keep trying.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Dave....try chucking the drive shaft up in a vise on a part that won't hurt the drive shaft seal surfaces. Take a block of wood and put it on top of the lower unit housing and give it a good smack with a heavy hammer. What we're doing is driving the lower unit away from the drive shaft. May be enough to free the splines between the pinion gear and drive shaft.

imported_Davec

Recruit

Thanks everyone,
I haven't had a chance to get back at it yet but hopefully this weekend I can try it again. I'll let you know how it works out.
Thanks again
Dave

Willyclay

Captain

Until you try PB Blaster like F R and OBJ suggested, you should not try other methods. PB Blaster is great stuff!

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

I think I'm having the same problem. Prop shaft is still in my lower unit. Clutch dog is still on the shaft. Pinion gear is still in there. Forward gear is still in there also.
I can't find my manual, but, am I not correct in thinking that the propshaft (with the clutch dog attached) will slide out of the forward gear?
Once the propshaft is removed, I could get to the pinion nut to remove it.
Is there a certain position the shifter needs to be in to get the propshaft out of it? Or is there something else that needs to be removed that I don't see?