Where to buy starter repair kit?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Where to buy starter repair kit?

Volvo doesn't have a repair kit for starters.

car5car

Seaman

I will clean solenoid plate and sand rotor brush surface. It spins slow. And clean connectors. Not ready to give up yet. If brushes are worn out and no way to buy them that would **** everybody off.
Don, you know everything tell me what to do please.
Maybe I just need to find starter repair place around.
You are professional boat mechanic you never mess with staters probably but you definitely know what to do.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't know everything, and I can't tell you what to do without having the boat to look at. It may actually be an engine or drive problem causing it to be slow who knows.
Do some checking. Pull the spark plugs and look at them, any rust or water? When was the last time the drive was serviced? or the bellows inspected for water?
Take he starter off and take it to a starter repair place and see what happens.
It may have to be replaced, but at least find out if it's bad or not before you do.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you suspect the starter, pull it and disassemble it. Take a brush out and visit your local auto electric shop which may be listed as Starter/Alternator Rebuilder in the yellow pages. The will more than likely have brushes that will be an exact match or will be close enough to work. Get the manufacturer and model number off the plate on the starter (if it has one). Or, have them rebuild the starter. Then you know its in good shape.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If the starter ends up being bad why not just buy a new one? It is probably full of rust anyway.Just my thought on it but it seems like alot less hassle than trying ti find parts for a worn out starter..

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Any Starter shop, any town...they will go over it

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Some parts are meant to be rebuilt and some aren't. Most good shops know the difference and they don't want a come-back any worse than you want to do the job twice.