15hp merc 4-stroke

2004 15hp merc

Recruit
This motor idles great starts fine but when I give it throttle I get a lot of white smoke and the motor bogs until it finally dies this take only a few seconds. So fare I’ve rebuilt the carb twice, cleaned with compressed air and carb cleaner, new plugs both times, new fuel tank linesand filter, and flushed the fuel system. It smells like the motor is getting to much fuel??? Please give me some more ideas.

Model# 1F15203CD
Serial# OT908842

2004 15hp merc

Recruit
Re: 15hp merc 4-stroke

Also motor has good spark and will idle on one cylinder. I think the original prob was water in fuel . I found a lot when I was first trying to find problem.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

u need to buy a factory manual to get it right
either u have not sync-link correctly or idle screw wrong

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Have you run a compression check? Lots of white smoke indicates a possible blown head gasket. Low/no compression would verify that. Was the engine ever overheated? If so -- why and what was done about it?

2004 15hp merc

Recruit

Thanks for your replies, of course I’m embarrassed to say I do not have a manual and have no idea what or where the sync-link is. The motor has less than 30 hrs and has never over heated I’m not sure how to check compression but will look around to find out. I agree white smoke blown head go hand in hand but the smoke really smells like gas or something like petroleum. This motor sat for 8 months unused and after the first carb cleaning the motor ran great until I let it sit for another month. Thanks again for your help. Any other information is greatly appreciated.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

well if u rebuilt the carbs u need to re-sync and link
buy a factory manual asap