why are yamaha and suzuki lumped together?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: why are yamaha and suzuki lumped together?

If you mean why do they share a forum it is because the amount of traffic for both is about half what Johnson/Evinrude or Mercury/Mariner generate.

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,

Could we come to some useful conclusion from that fact (amount of traffic)?

/Bo

JB

When the current menu was set up, several years ago, a single forum on outboard topics was getting over a hundred posts a day and was very difficult to use and to moderate.

First, iboats decided to seperate non-repair topics from the others, then sought to divide up the rest into managable size fora. There was no intent to set up a seperate forum for each brand, so the low traffic brands were grouped to keep fhe fora managable. The OMC/BRP brands and the Brunswick brands each had enough traffic to justify their own fora. The others were paired or grouped more or less arbitrarily to make active, but managable fora.

It appears that there may be another change in the future. If you think that Yammy and Suzi should have their own fora, then maybe Honda, Tohatsu, etc. should, too. Please send your suggesations to iboats management via the "contact us" button.

As a moderator, I think that the current menu is satisfactory for the forseeable future.

lowe160

Seaman Apprentice

I agree JB, us Suzie and Yammie owners don't have a lot of problems!8)
Current menu is find.o:)

Wayne

lowe160

Seaman Apprentice

Current menu is fine.o:)

Wayne

deejaycee_2000

Captain

lowe160 said:

Wayne

hahahahaha, say no more ..... :)

beaufort bob

Seaman

deejaycee_2000 said:
lowe160 said:

Wayne

hahahahaha, say no more ..... :)

SOME soozookee owners DO have problems! I'm one. Been trying to get it resolved for over six months thru
"authorized" suzuki dealers. Only Browns Point Marine Services in NJ (I live in NC) has shown the slightest bit of interest in helping me resolve this.

The reason I started this thread is because yamaha and suzuki are different motors... the recent (at least 4-stroke) smaller suzuki and johnsons are the SAME motor with different lables, so you could make a weak argument that suzuki and johnson should be lumped together... just my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions!)

regards, BB

D

DJ

I agree JB, us Suzie and Yammie owners don't have a lot of problems!

Not necessarily true. Many of these brands (Yam, Zuki, Honda) have been in the US a relatively short time. Since about the early 1980's.

The others have been around since the 1930's and many are still in use. I have four outboards that range in age from 1957 to 1967 and all of them run just fine.

The "American" brands had about a 50 year head start, so the numbers, in existance, are much greater.

Did you ever notice the age of some of the engines in the J & E and Merc. threads? Some of them are far older than the owners.:^

JB

During the 90s OMC made small (8, 9.9 and 15)Johnson and Evinrude 4 strokes, then in the late 90s Suzuki made The Evinrude 70 4 stroke. For a while Suzuki made most of the Johnson 4 strokes.

Of course, Yamaha and Mercury shared and share a lot of powerheads and legs, Merc and Honda as well.

And Tohatsu makes Nissan and most of the small outboards still for sale under several brand names.

Not to mention that Sea Kings were made by West Bend, Gale, Chrysler, Clinton, and many others.

Maybe you want a geneology chart. OR, you could just read the forum titles and go to the one that covers your engine. 8)8)

beaufort bob

Seaman

<< Maybe you want a geneology chart. OR, you could just read the forum titles and go to the one that covers your engine. >>

Thanks for being so helpful.

BB

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Personally it makes perfect sense to me. The forums with the most traffic are separated into their own space. It seems like a simple cut and dry answer to me.

If I had a Suzuki made Johnson 4 stroke, I'd go to the Suzuki forum and ask the question. If I had a 76 115hp Rude, I'd go to the Rude forum.

Anyway bb, what's the issue with your engine....since we're in the Suzi forum??

beaufort bob

Seaman

Cricket said:
Personally it makes perfect sense to me. The forums with the most traffic are separated into their own space. It seems like a simple cut and dry answer to me.

If I had a Suzuki made Johnson 4 stroke, I'd go to the Suzuki forum and ask the question. If I had a 76 115hp Rude, I'd go to the Rude forum.

Anyway bb, what's the issue with your engine....since we're in the Suzi forum??

the issue with my engine is here:

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=30;gtid=1220596

...regards, BB