86-87 Johnson 110 Shutting Down

chvathrt

Cadet
Hello all,
I am new to this forum, so let me start by saying thank you!!

Heres my problem.....when I give the motor full throttle it runs great for a few seconds and then falls on its face. I have diagnosed the packs, they are good, I have replaced all the plug wires and plugs, and the coils are good as well. Anyne have a soultion?

I have seen many threads on this topic and not one of them communicated a solution, so either they got it fixed and didnt tell anyone or they gave up! This is the first boat I ave owned as a father and my son is gonna kill me if I dont get it going soon...HELP!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!

P.S. The stator seems to be a little loose under the flywheel, is this okay??

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 86-87 Johnson 110 Shutting Down

Some things to check for:
Primer bulb flat when stumbling, check that vent in tank is open or anti siphon valve not functioning properly.
Squeze the primer bulb when stumbling, if it recovers could be fuel pump.
Timer base sticking?
Rebuild carbs.

What type of boat is this motor on?

Hope this helps and welcome to iboats.

regards,
jimmy

EDIT: no your stator should not be loose.

chvathrt

Cadet

The motor is on an 86 mitch craft center console. There is plenty of fuel flow and the carbs I paid $400 bucks to have rebuilt! I have not looked into the timing base because I am unsure of how to test it. Any suggestions!! Thanks again for your help!!!!

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take the cowl off and advance the throttle smoothly, watch the arm that advances the timer base and see if it moves smoothly or it sticks part way, or it jerks along the way.

jimmy

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh I forgot to mention, if the stator is not tight and is able to move around it will either self destruct itself, the flywheel, or interfear with the timer base.
Regards,
jimmy

chvathrt

Cadet

The stator moves only slightly, no up or down motion, just side to side.

Does the engine need to be under a load when I test this for a more accurate assessment? Your a big help, thanks!!

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class

The stator should not move at all. If it does move even slightly it will affect your timing.
No the engine does not need to be running to assess whether the timer base is sticking or not. Just advance the throttle from the control box ( or have someone else do it ) and watch the arm that accuates the timer base linkage for signs of erratic movement.

Regards,
jimmy

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Time for some troubleshooting.

Have you checked for spark with a spark checker to see if you get a bright blue snap that jums a 3/8" gap on all cyl.?

Have you tried Sidewinders suggestion with the primer bulb?

Have you taken a squeeze bottle of pre mix and sprayed it into the carbs when it starts to stumble?

Compression check?

You got ripped with the $400.00 carb rebuild - and by the way your symptoms point more to fuel problems at this point.

And I have a pair of 1987s.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Not sure if you answered Sidewinder's question about the fuel pump. Good fuel flow from through the hose will not compensate for a weak pump. A weak pump will let the engine run, but will not provide enought fuel for high speed operation-it will fall flat on it's face when the engine drains the carb bowls, then recover when back at idle. Also possible you have a fuel restriction, like a faulty anti-siphon valve.

chvathrt

Cadet

Thanks for the added tips Solittle and amd! And to answer the questions:

I have not looked at the primer bulb when it falls as I have not had i back in the water yet. Before rebuilding the carbs, the engine would not rev past 2500rpm so I did spray fuel in them at the boat ramp while running and the motor picked right up. Thats when I had the carbs rebuilt.

I think you all may be right about a fuel problem, now that I think about it when the motor dies it takes a few times starting and it spiting and sputtering before it will stay running again.
I will go out tomorrow and check for the ball flattening out, are there any specific ways to check the fuel pump? Just want to make sure as the pump at my local boatyard is $460.

Thanks you all for your help!!! I'll be back tomorrow afternoon with an upate!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Lets slow down a bit. What do you mean "it falls on it's face"?

When you do get it to go and it slows down will the flywheel still turn freely? Or is the motor locking up?

chvathrt

Cadet

Here's the scenario:

I advance the throttle all the way, about 10 seconds after its hits top RPM the motor dies. When I attempt to start the motor again it spits and sputters for two or three starting attempts and then its fine. When I attempt to fully engage the throttle again it does the same thing.

Thanks for everyones help!!!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Ok, but when it dies does it spin over freely with the starter or does it sound like the starter is dragging?

chvathrt

Cadet

Turns over just fine after it dies, starter does not sound like it is under any more load than normal.

chrish

Seaman Apprentice

same thing happened to me first time out with the restored mark twain boat 85 hp johnson, it would just get up to speed and shut down, and it would take a few cranks to get it restarted, but to find out it was set way too rich by almost 1/4 turn on each jet so the motor loaded up on fuel and stalled it out, after it was set to the specs of the book it ran fine the next time it was out.

chvathrt

Cadet

So, heres an update:

Took her out today and did not get a chance to check the bulb for flattening when she shut down, because she would not go over about 3500rpm. I think she is having an intermittent problem in which she only runs on 3 cyl.

I will do a compression test in the next couple of days and re post. Thanks again for all of your help!!

P.S. Chrish, I did not see any adjustment screws on the carbs, only a screw to drain the bowls at the bottom.

crazycajun25

Cadet

I have a 1989 150 xp evinrude. it is doing the same thing. I have replaced all of the fuel lines, rebuilt the carbs, checked the coils checked the power pack. I still haven found what is doing it because it is still doing it.

Ps: i hope someone has the answer

chvathrt

Cadet

I ran a compression test on the motor yesterday and with the engine cold, all 4 cyl. are between 95-98. Please help!!!

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't worry to much about the compression readings for now.
Still, I feel it could be a fuel delivery problem.
Fuel pressure reading taking between the pump and carb then:
I would start at the tank and work back to the carbs, checking anti-siphon valve, hose connections tight, water/fuel separator (fittings replace element), primer blub not leaking air, quick connect o-ring, hose connection tight from quick conn. to fuel pump. If it has the old style pump, besure the gasket is good underneath.

Once it is up and running good, I would de-carb the engine. Just might bring up that compression a-bit.

Hope this helps.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you have not removed or replaced the anti-siphon valve, you might want to give it consideration.

It is one of the most frequent causes of this type of problem because the valves were [1] not designed for outboard fuel pumps, and [2] not designed for the fuels we now use.

There is nothing wrong with the compression figures.

How is the spark?

What sized fuel lines are you using?