Tilt tube nut

pman7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a 71 Merc 500 and I'm switching my steering from being anchored on the splash wall to a tilt tube system. I'm going with a Uflex Rotech rotary system as I'm very limited in space (less than 4.5") to the left of my steering wheel under my console.

My question is about the tilt tube nut where the steering rod exits the tilt tube. A nut comes attached to the cable to anchor as it enters the tilt tube but I guess I also need a support allignment nut of some kind where the cable rod exits the tilt tube. I've been told I don't need this second nut but this doesn't make sense to me because it would seem an absense of support at this end would make the end of the system a bit floppy. Do some systems not have this tilt tube exit support nut?

What keeps this support nut from wearing out and wearing out the steering rod? I suppose there should be grease or something but what kind of metal should the liner/bushing within the nut be? Could the liner be plastic or teflon?

I haven't really seen any of these nuts on the market. Has anyone made a home made version that worked well and if so could you describe it?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt tube nut

A nut is not normally used where the rod exits the tube. Everything should be greased when you assemble it and periodically thereafter as regular preventative maint. Don't worry about it wearing out...not a problem. Having said all that they used to sell an accessory nut with a seal in it to keep water out of the tube (rust) I don't know offhand if they still make them. You might find one on one out of a thousand boats.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

They nuts with a grease zerk in them are still available. Just turn the wheel to its full travel so the rod is fully extended and lubricate it periodically. A nut is not typically used on the output end. When kept lubricated, you will not live long enough to wear out the rod or the tilt tube.

pman7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the thread size on a typical steering cable nut that hooks into the tilt tube 7/8"?

I've seen the nuts on ebay as 7/8" and 1". The threads on my tilt tube are 7/8". If I buy a standard uflex rotech system isn't it probably going to have the 7/8" nut that will fit my tilt tube?