Questions on charging 24v system

jeffnangela

Cadet
I'm just getting up and running with my new 24v trolling motor. I plan on adding an on board charger eventually (have to recover from $700 trolling motor, batteries, wires, and plugs first), but my most pressing question is do I have to charge each battery individually or can I charge them just as they are wired in series? I searched the archives and really didn't see a clear cut answer. Also, when I do purchase an onboard charger do I need a 2 or 3 bank? I have two batteries for my trolling motor and one starting battery.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Questions on charging 24v system

You can by many onboard chargers that will charge them in the 24V configuration. It will more than likely be a dual bank model though.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just make sure that the charger has isolated outputs. Most newer multi-bank units do. Thjat's just a heads up if you buy a used one and its also the reason a lot of boats with 12/24 panels at the bow had a RUN/CHARGE switch. . If the outputs are not isolated you will draw sparks attempting to charge both batteries in a series configuration. Look at the charger that same way you look at the batteries. The POS output of one bank connects to the NEG bank of the second output. If the outputs share a common ground that immediately places the POS output at ground and hence the short.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Another thing to consider is how much you run your outboard when you go fishing. My old Merc has a small alternator and I don't run it enough to really keep the starting battery charged. So I use a 3 bank charger to eliminate that possible problem.