outboard illness

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am wondering if any you guys suffer from my affliction/condition .I have a 1971 evinrude ski twin in excellent condition and it is a thing of beauty with its retro looks and bulges it looks fast standing still .I actually find myself standing in the garage looking at it .does anybody else do this with their engine/boat or am I needing my head sorted??

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: outboard illness

I used to do that with my boats & motors but I sold most of them.Now I have something a little more sensable:
Bicycles.Probably the only help for you will be more boats and motors.Ask Chinewalker what can happen.
Better yet go to "chinewalkers place" and look around.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yeah Dave....definite affliction. Spike is right.....get another boat/motor....your suffering withdrawal from boating addiction. Hideous thing. Makes a grown man wonder aimlessly around in the garage.....carress his tools....peer longingly at the water. Been there. Hollow feeling when the garage is empty of some sort of water craft. You need to appeaise your yearnings, your additction.

You need a boat and motor!!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I have a brand new Clam 5600 ice fishing shelter that I bought right after Christmas last year and have yet to use it as there is still open water in much of the state. I, like you, spend time looking longingly at my boat. I turn the prop to make sure the lub is stirred up a little. I pop the engine cover and just stare at the engine and remember how it sings at WOT. Yes -- boating makes that way and no -- you don't need your head sorted. I visited a shrink once. He was screwed up far worse than I was and I still had to pay him.

D

DJ

It's not an illness, it is what is called...........a passion.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My boat is stored at the side of my house and I regularly look at it. Make sure the cover is O.K. Spin the prop and long to get it down to the lake again in spring. In the time between boats I used to go to my local marina and look longingly. My wife took pity on me and now we are back on the water. She never had much time for boats until she realised what a hit it is with all the family. Our 5 children range from 18 to 24 and with all the girlfriends / boyfriends as well there is usually a line up at our dock over the weekends.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's really an addiction. presently have 3 boats, 5 engines. looking for more, also bought a 18' Hobie cat in November, and getting a old 89 yamaha jet ski next week.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh i may have given the wrong impression I do have a boat called the jimmyg after my late father and four engines but its good to know its not only me!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I fished/boated all my life and took up farming; figured enough was enough; would try something different for a change. Sold my boat but did fish in my farm ponds.....not the same. 10 years later, boat (different one) in farm shop next to tractor. Man must have boat. :love:

I was just fiddling with mine yesterday, just as you guys said and hope I didn't mess something up. I ran it afterwards and it seems ok, but won't know till I get it back on the water. Axiom "If it ain't broke leave it alone" is good. Man need to heed. d:)

Mark

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

DWJ said:
It's not an illness, it is what is called...........a passion.

Pretty well covers it.......beside the boats and motors, my 3 classic Harleys get a kiss goodnight before I slam the door!. If they could only cook and do windows.. 8)

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

We have had boats since last may. The first time we took one out was the weekend before last. Lots of staring in that time.