coil for 1975 sears ted williams 7.5

duckhunttexas

Recruit
i need a coil for a 1975 sears ted williams 7.5 i have looked every where and cant find one.can anyone help?. thank you. d8)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: coil for 1975 sears ted williams 7.5

Welcome to iboats. :)

Chances are it has a Tecumseh powerhead. There will be a tag somewhere on the powerhead with the model number (like 640-11). With that, you can go to a lawnmower dealer and get what you need. You might even be able to get one from Sears. Try www3.sears.com. You'll need the model number of the outboard (like 217.585870).

szepj1

Cadet

FYI, I've checked with Sears; at one time they had a parts reference for the coil but now, no longer.

I've come across a local small engine repair company who says they can get this coil (called a "transformer) but it will run around $120.00 (Cdn funds). I'd like to find a used coil to try before going this route [of ordering and buying a new one].

As well, both Sears and the aforementioned repair shop no longer can get the magneto/ignition unit assembly so I might be quite hooped if the replacement coil doesn't work.

To recap, what I'm looking for is a used coil in order to try this out. Please let me know if you can help, thanks.

CATransplant

Admiral

Yup, that's the solid state ignition on that 7.5. It uses the same transformer that I have two of on my Ted Williams 9.9. They are exceedingly hard to find, and that $120 price is about what they sell for, new.

As far as I've been able to tell, there's no substitute you can use, either. I've got my fingers crossed that mine will keep on working.

Still, it may well not be the coil that's bad. Theres a solid state module and a trigger coil under your flywheel. Either of those could be bad, with the same result. Bad news is that they're just as hard to find.

Keep your eyes open for an entire used engine, one with a busted lower unit or something. You should be able to pick that up for about $50 and use the coil and other parts.

The other option is eBay. Those coils turn up there from time to time. You'll have to fight me for them, though. [grin]

szepj1

Cadet

Checked with ebay. Nadda, other then to buy another complete and working unit. Maybe that's what I'll eventually end up doing but I want to exhaust all avenues of approach of this matter, one of which is to buy a still-obtainable coil.

perkdp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't spend much time on this forum or I wouldn't have done what I did.

I just took a complete unit, like your having trouble with, to the dump.
It was locked up somewhere either in the powerhead or lower unit.

Sorry guys.

Last edited:

CATransplant

Admiral

Checked with ebay. Nadda, other then to buy another complete and working unit. Maybe that's what I'll eventually end up doing but I want to exhaust all avenues of approach of this matter, one of which is to buy a still-obtainable coil.

You have to keep checking eBay. One look won't do. About a month ago, there was some guy selling a pair of those transformers from a 9.9 or 15. They went for surprisingly little money. I wish I'd bid.

People part out a lot of those off-brand motors. You just have to keep looking. Also, they don't always call the part by the right name, so you have to be creative.

Still, watch for a busted complete motor. They're cheap, and there are lots of other parts you can use from a parts outboard. It's probably the cheapest way to go.

I've seen your 7.5 (and it can be anthing from 1974 on) on my local craig's list site dozens of times. If they run, they bring $100-125. If they're broken, about $50. Usually, they're not really broken, though. The owner just couldn't get them started.

$50. It's not a lot of money. For that you get a coil, a carburetor, a prop, and all sorts of other useful bits to keep yours running.

Or, buy the running one for $100-125 and keep yours as the parts donor.

It just makes sense if you own an off-brand outboard.

perkdp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh,,, it just occured to me..... I believe many of the Sea King motors from Montgomery ward, Wizzards from Western Auto were the same motors as the Sears / Ted Williams motors. So, don't limit your search too much.

And search ebay for tecumseh. I found a few ignition parts on that search which may help you out.