Can 1957 mark 30 parts be found?

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, here's a really old one... 1957 Mark 30 ser# 1078767. Has been run sparingly last 20 years. But it does run! This fall it hit something in the water (log maybe) and the gears in the foot broke and cracked the housing. Wat are the chances of finding the gears and repairing the housing? Anyone want the powerhead - or have a lower unit for sale?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can 1957 mark 30 parts be found?

Also try Johns Old Mercury Web Site.Excellent forum
and links.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

And oldmercs.com. The lower units were the weak link in the Mark 30s, as the unit was essentially a 15-20hp lower unit with a beefier driveshaft and pilot bearing. The gears didn't hold up well with modest abuse. Also, the drainage at the rear of the gearcase where the water intake is was easily plugged, resulting in many cracked housings. Factor in shafts that rusted over time and you had water getting into the gearcase itself, causing its own issues. The end result is that there are quite a few Mark 30s out there missing gearfeet.

FYI, the gears and housing from a Mark 25 will work with your Mark 30. You'd have to swap in your driveshaft and upper bearing. Mark 15 and Mark 20 housings look similar, but have smaller exhaust outlets and can restrict breathing... Might be able to make one work by opening it up with a Dremel...
- Scott

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I have one. Its from a Mark 30 , only a 58. Pretty crusty, and might have a bit of trouble getting it apart, or if it can be used as is I don't know. Have to dig it out. And I really do not know the condition of the gears. Its ready to get yard sailed, but email me at hogrider@myway.com with Mark 30 in the subject line. We can take it from there. Robby

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Bumping this as no reply yet..