what year and how rare is my merc?

johndoor

Recruit
i have a kiekaefer mercury 25hp outboard and the only numbers i can see are 045436 and model 25 on the i.d. plate and the only other markings on the motor is "dyna float". i'd really like to know what year it is and how rare is it? the guy i got it from tossed it in the back of his truck and broke the handle after a trout fishing trip.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: what year and how rare is my merc?

Don't know the year (mid 50s), but fairly rare. Mostly because they were one of Mercury's worst motors to work on ever built. The water pumps ride high in the midsection and impellers are a nightmare to replace. So nobody ever did. Then they failed and the powerhead burnt up. You might be lucky to find used parts, but nothing new. Plenty of them died, most all by now. But they're worth more as scrap than for spare parts. Best of luck. They ran pretty good when they ran.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

post a pic.

Laddies

Banned

If it is a 2 cyl and has a front mounted shift lever that moves back and forth to shift it's a Mark 25 built in 55-56 probably

Laddies

Banned

Willy that beauty that your thinking of was a Mark 28 A other than that I agree completly

ricksrster

Commander

Does it look like this:
1957Mark25.jpg

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If it is a Mark 25, then it is NOT one of the worst motors Merc ever made - quite the opposite! And it is not all that rare - they made thousands of them and there are still many of them out there in service. Great motors, great power to weight ratio, fairly easy to work on, and still have fairly good parts availability for most consumables. I've got a '56 and love it!

Oldmercs.com will have most everything you need to resuscitate it....
- Scott