14 hp McCulloch

dadgummit

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 14 hp McCulloch runs smoking hot. Ive put a new impeller on it, but i'm not seeing any water flow out of the holes on back. The old impeller was totally shot so I've never seen water flow out of the holes. Is water supposed to flow out of these two holes? They are about 3/8". Is there a thermostat on this motor? -thanks, JB

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 14 hp McCulloch

The system could be clogged with sand or chunks of the old impeller. I have adopted a habit of backflushing the cooling system when the gearcase is off to correct that. On some motors it's easier than on others. Sometimes all I can do is connect a hose straight to the water pipe and let it flow, then remove it and let the water drain back out through it. I can't say for sure about a thermostat, but I don't think they had one.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

These motors have 2 impellers the lower one is the cooling pump.The other is for the bailer.There is a thermostat I think on older motors it is on the head under a little cover on 63 and newer motors it is under the exhaust and water manifold covers on the port side.Check the water inlet above and aft of the propeller.Don't know where the outlet is but carefully explore the holes with some soft wire.Bugs love to build
in these areas.

dadgummit

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks guys I never even noticed a second impeller under that plate and there was a lot of impeller trash down there.
Heading down the Arkansas for some stripers.
-thanks again, JB