Plastic jig bait

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey Y'Awl ... lol

I fish northern lakes and rivers (Canada) and use mostly jigs and rubber apparels on them, or I use Carolina rigging method, or a modified Texas rig at times.

The bait style soft bait used so far are Berkleys and Yum. I like Yum better cause they are salted. Want to know if I am to expect better results using the new biodegradable and fish eatable Gulp brand ?

Tx

Tx

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Plastic jig bait

GULP is very popular here, Pecheux, much more so than YUM. However, we fish a different environment for different species.

In your territory I think I would like to try the GULP nightcrawler behind a spinner for walleyes, smallmouth and trout.

For esox I still prefer in-line spinners, spinnerbaits, spoons and hard baits.

For ice fishing I prefer single malt scotch, neat, in the lodge. Wouldn't catch any fish that way but I would be comfortable.8)

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try foodsource worms, they have been getting a lot of attention lately. They are made from real food so they are supossed to give off good smell, and since they are made from real food they are biodegratable. I didnt like the gulp brand when i used their wax worms for ice fishing, real worms worked much better

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree that live bait is best most of the time. But basicaly I am trying to find out if the GULP brand being more food (or bio) would be more attractant than other brands (plastic)

I used yellow Gulp worms (espensive) among other things and has less success than with Yum (cheaper)

Sooo I wondered if anyone else had better luck than me using the Gulp baits.

Cheers

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've caught fish on the Gulp baits. But it seems like they stiffen up after they've been in the water for a while. I'm going to order some of the Foodsource lures and give them a try. But, if I could only put one bag of plastic baits in my tackle box they would be 4" Senkos.

Well I think I may be able to offer one suggestion to this situation. Because I make my own baits and don't buy any of the prescented baits I spent about 5 years testing different add on scents to my baits like Jacks Juice and Bang and Fish Formula and about 2 years ago I found a scent maker in North Carolina and I tried his Hawg Sauce and that has made all the difference in my soft bait fishing. My hook ups are a lot better and my fish catching ratio is up about 40%. I fish Jigs often and I make my own trailers and I use his products on them also. You can go look at his products on www.cbshawgsauce.com
I saw an article in B.A.S.S. in the womens division that Juanita Robinson won on Lake Amistad 3 weeks ago and came in 3rd in the Womens Classic last weekend and she acredited alot of her success in both events to his products. Hope this helps.
softy

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

What does it smell like, garlic? The MegaStrike seems to be the most popular up here. I just bought some of the Berkley stuff but have not tried it out yet. I got some Jacks Juice/Garlic late last season but have not used it enough to give an opinion.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, used the Yum/Crawfish scent last year but stopped using it because it dyes anything you get it on red.

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i use Spike It, which is a scent and dye, it comes in all different colors so sometimes ill use a little on the tails of my lizards and even a little on sencos in mucky water.

CB's Hawg sauce comes in several different scents and is in liquid oil based, waterbase or a jel like smelly jelly use to come in and I use that Bass Honey and the Crawfish. I think the fish have got so use to the garlic that I wanted something else and the Bass Honey is working great. The Crawfish was just released this past month after a year of field testing and it recieved rave reviews so I now have some of it and will be using it on my jigs and craws. I just recieve three jars of it Wednesday. It is like baits that rattle. I am seeing more companies looking at going back to non rattling baits again because the bass are getting programed to that sound like they are to the garlic. JMHO