1992 4hp Evinrude Deluxe - No Spark

1320buster

Cadet
I have a 1992 Evinrude 4hp Deluxe with no spark on either cylinder. I checked the run/stop switch wiring with my ohmmeter and with the safety clip installed it is infinite, with it removed or the button pushed the resistance goes to 0, this checks with proper indications from the Seloc manual. Does this check with what you would think is correct?

I checked the charge coil according to the following:

4. A resistance check can be used to statically check the charge coil (and the wiring harness), but keep in mind that a coil could test within spec statically, but show a fault dynamically (especially once operating temperatures are reached). Of course, this is your only option for testing the charge coil on UFI motors, so do your best. And, one small advantage of the resistance check is that not everyone has access to a peak-reading .

l. With the 5-pin connector still disengaged from the previous steps (or the flywheel and other components removed for access on UFI models directly to the wires), probe across terminals A (brown lead) and D (brown/yellow lead) from the charge coil. On UFI models the terminal references are not applicable, but the wire colors should be the same.

m. Resistance should be 800-1000 ohms for a component at about 68° F (20° C) or the charge coil is out of specification. Please note that the specification given is for all 1991 and later models with either CDI or UFI, however the specification for 1990 UFI models differs and is only 535-585 ohms.

It says that the wire colors should be the same, does that mean as in brown and brown/yellow or should they both be the same color? I have no brown wire, both are yellow/brown, so I checked the resistance across them and it reads 0000, which does not match with the 800-1000 that it should be, but I wonder if I am checking the correct wiring, since they are both brown/yellow and there is no brown. I would hate to replace this module if in fact I am just checking resistance in the wrong place....

The only other item that I am thinking is that both power packs have gone bad... There is a metal clip on on one end of each of the power packs and some fiber washers, are those metal tabs on the power packs supposed to be insulated from ground or grounded to the motor. On the right hand powerpack (looking rear to front) the powerpack is grounded via a wire on the outboard side of the powerpack, but should it be insulated on the motor side? The left hand powerpack has no ground wire, so I am assuming that it has to be grounded in some fashion... or does it require the fiber insulation washers on both side??

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 1992 4hp Evinrude Deluxe - No Spark

Welcome to iboats !

Since you didn't post the model number, this is but a guess. The charge coil should have 2 wires , that's it, any color really. Take your resistance readings across these 2 leads and check each lead to ground. Neither lead should be grounded.

From what I can see from the parts lists (again, only guessing, no model number) you have only one ignition module and either 2 seperate coils , or one dual coil pack. The charge coil should produce upwards of 150 to 200 volts A/C and pass this voltage to the ignition module. Since the ignition module is under the flywheel, it's internal trigger coil fires the primary side of the external coils after rectifying the A/C voltage into D.C.

1320buster

Cadet

Thanks for the welcome!

The model # is E4RDHLENM

I replaced the ignition module and still no fire! This leads me to believe that it is a ground problem and I now have a new (and not needed) ignition module! Unless both power packs have gone bad... Any tricks out there on how to test the powerpacks (ignition coils) with the PL-88 (I think that is what it is called) attachment for my voltmeter?

Below are some pics of where I think my ground problems are... I also attached a pic of the wirng diagram from the seloc manual and the ground diagrams on the ignition coils confuses me... but I think the pics and the questions I put on the pics can clear this all up in a jif! I appreciate the help....

Attachments

• lh_motor (Custom).gif
    54 bytes · Views: 0
  • lh_motor (Custom).gif
  • lh_motor (Custom).gif
  • rh_motor (Custom).gif
  • rh_motor (Custom).gif
  • rh_motor (Custom).gif
  • wiring.gif
    57 bytes · Views: 0
  • wiring.gif
  • wiring.gif

1320buster

Cadet

I don't know why pics are not showing.... I'll work on it!

1320buster

Cadet

I give up on the pics..... Maybe a moderator can help out...

Attachments

• lh_motor (Custom).gif

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Buster....take a look at the first topic in the "Non-Boating Technical Topics" forum. Should help you out.

1320buster

Cadet

Alright! Hopefully these work! Did not realize that this forum did not host images...

30j5n6f.gif
[/img]

2d0041c.gif

2wc2vt3.gif

Xcusme

Commander

1320Buster....check your PM's

1320buster

Cadet

A little what I did...

I replaced the ignition module... Obviously electrical and shops won't let you take that those parts back, so I don't know if I would have replaced it right away based on no spark on both cyliners again...

What I would do is check for voltage from the ignition coil under the fly-wheel. I checked this, after the replacing the ign module, but not before... and had voltage. I then reinstalled the coils for the cyliners and methodically checked the grounding of them and had spark. Had I checked for voltage before on the under fly wheel coil, I might have realized that this was just a ground problem all along!

Oh, well live and learn... my advice to those with spark problems.... check those grounds!