Pontiac Transport blower motor question

Bobby Autry

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 1995 fuel injected 3.8 liter Pontiac Transport that blows the high speed heater blower motor relay. I have replaced these relays a couple of times within the past 2 years. Today I had to replace it again and am wondering what is causing this occurrence. It doesn't do this all the time just once in a while. I went ahead and relaced the blower motor which was still working but was manufactered according to the sticker on it 10/04/95 which I beleive is a 1995 blower motor and maybe is worn out and drawing amps. Hopefully this has fixed the problem but not a 100% it has. Everything works fine now. I was just curious what you guys thought?

dolluper

Captain
Re: Pontiac Transport blower motor question

Do you park with the blower on high{the fan switch} then restart the van with it blown high...if so turn it down before parking......blowing relays is usually old age,short or bad GROUNDS

Bobby Autry

Seaman Apprentice

Dolluper,

Yes. My wife drives the van and I do notice that the heat has been left on high before I crank it and sometimes I don't turn it off or down before I crank it. My question is should I put my old blower motor back in and take the new motor back to the auto parts store since it was still working when I removed it. The only reason I replaced it was I thought maybe since it is so old that it might be worn out and drawing excessive amps causing the relay to blow, but I am not so sure if that is what the problem is, just a thought. What do you think?

dolluper

Captain

They usually make a bunch of squillen{dry bearing} before they just stop working ,Idd use it till it quit you could do a draw test on it but O/P is waste of time....Relays are really just a set of points converting different amps,volts so shorts or bad grounds esp can take them out pretty fast

Xcusme

Commander

Bobby, your van has a blower relay?? I didn't know it (mine) had a blower relay, I'll have to look at the elect. circuit. I did have to replace the blower speed board (low speed resistor trace burned up) . Other than that, no problems with the blower at all ( '98 Venture)

BTW, if it is the replay, I'd think it would be a Bosch type with a 30 amp contact rating.....now you got me curious ....

dolluper

Captain

It's not a blower motor relay but a high speed fan relay,usually in a pack of three or more fuelpump relay,high speed fan relay,rear defrost relay,and cooling fan relay mostly on air conditioned vehicles,newer vehicles have them in the underhood fusebox and much smaller

Xcusme

Commander

Gotcha, thanks for the info.....