TROLLING WITH AN IO V6

ANGELO

Recruit
Hello All,
I am new to boat ownership, I have a reinell/beachcraft bowrider with a V6 OMC I/O. I am a fisherman at heart but the price was right for this boat. I do love to fish the local lakes, and in hot weather I need to troll for trout ,salmon and land locked steel head. I need to know how to accomplish this. Please help!!!:%:=

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: TROLLING WITH AN IO V6

[colour=blue]Hi Angelo, welcome to iboats!!

Trolling with an i/o is smoother and quieter than an eggbeater (outboard).

You do it the same as if you had an outboard. Personally, I carry three props - one for deep trolling trout, one for shallow barramundi and one for salt trolling (mackeral etc).

Silver/Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to iboats Angelo!

We troll for salmon and steelhead with an i/o V8 with no problems. (I found a very nice boat at a good price also)

I do use "drift socks" at times to control the speed...Good luck...

Silver/Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I forgot to add that some of the other trollers here have installed a trolling plate to their motors to control their speed...You might want to check out the parts dept. here at iboats...

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

ANGELO said:
Hello All,
I am new to boat ownership, I have a reinell/beachcraft bowrider with a V6 OMC I/O. I am a fisherman at heart but the price was right for this boat. I do love to fish the local lakes, and in hot weather I need to troll for trout ,salmon and land locked steel head. I need to know how to accomplish this. Please help!!!:%:=

what specifically do you need ideas on?
trolling baits?
rods and reels?
Lines?
Boat set-up? - placement of rod holders etc. ..
Trolling speeds?
Drinking beer while driving the boat? ... .)

:)

zuke1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cant go wrong with a trolling plate, the only that sucks about em is the mpg...

the plate allows you troll at a higher rpm / slower speed... but you do have to bolt them on and they do affect your performance a little...

if you do decide to get one, i would probably have a pro put it on so as to stay away from any unnecisary cavitation/damage...

and if you troll in shallow water, and are considering the drift sock, make sure you spend the money to get a good one/two... because if you get the chitty one, and it catches on something, there is a good chance that it will rip.

later
zuke

ANGELO

Recruit

Dunaruna said:
[colour=blue]Hi Angelo, welcome to iboats!!

Trolling with an i/o is smoother and quieter than an eggbeater (outboard).

You do it the same as if you had an outboard. Personally, I carry three props - one for deep trolling trout, one for shallow barramundi and one for salt trolling (mackeral etc).

ANGELO

Recruit

Thank you all, I was concerned about going so slow with the I/O.

MRS

Commander

ANGELO said:

I hate to tell you this but I have a four cylinder i/o and you just cannot troll slow enough with and i/o with out loading up the motor. You will need a kicker motor then it will work great I have tried all the stuff and a kicker is the only way to go. I am only telling you this because been there done that.......

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

MRS said:
ANGELO said:

I hate to tell you this but I have a four cylinder i/o and you just cannot troll slow enough with and i/o with out loading up the motor. You will need a kicker motor then it will work great I have tried all the stuff and a kicker is the only way to go. I am only telling you this because been there done that.......

depends entirely on your set-up (thats a can of worms).. I've fished on plenty of I/O's that did the deed well. If S-l-o-w to you is sub 1mph then yea, a kicker is generally your best bet trolling forward .. flip it around and go goofy and you can crawl with the canoes and kyacks but we're talking about Salmonids .. 1.5 - 3.0mph (**GPS) generally in my experience on Inland waters and the Great Lakes.

but do what ever works! :)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

roscoe said:
Barlow, where've you been?

Its been over a year since we heard from you.
Even Spinner was getting worried about you.

Check out this thread in Dockside Cat.
Perhaps you could join us?

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=20;gtid=1234111

And happy birthday, Cheers.

Hey Roscoe! ..Life and work has me busy as a two peckered billy goat so I haven't been able to do much recreational internetn' for a quite a while. I did finally catch up with Spinner a bit ago.. he got ahold of me through snail mail and we talked on the phone.. didn't know there would be an APB out on me though - goes to show ya how much I was checking my yahoo or hotmail e-mail accounts.

-anywho-

I'll take a look into it .. not sure though because I'm taking my first real "vacation" other than hunting and fishing in quite a few years - the boss is a slave driver
here ;) but, I'll keep it in mind - thanx for the invite!.... the Petenwell Flowage, eh?! 8)

I'll try to poke my head in from time to time and leave the windows open and the lights on....