engine stalls if sitting in idle

I finally got everything back together on my engine. i replaced the switch box and stator. i finally got time this weekend to take it out to the lake to see what it will do.
we had been starting it and letting it run in in a tank of water and it was running great at idle so we took it out on the lake sat and it started right up backed off the trailer and we took it out to the part of the lake where you can open it up. for a little 40 hp engine it can move pretty good. we ran it for about 6 loops and i told my brother to slow it down and see how slow we can get for trolling. when we did that it felt and sounded like it loaded up and stalled. the first thing that went through my head was "i hope i didn't fry the stator and switch box" . so i dropped the trolling motor to get back to the dock and my brother waited about a minute and tried starting it after a couple of tries turning it over it started to sound like it wanted to start and finally it started. it sounded like it was flooded as it started to clear up it started running good again and we took off. my brother said lets try opening it up again slowly and see if it will clear up and it did. we ran some more loops and then decided to try stopping it and sitting for awhile and starting it again and it worked fine . we decided to leave cause we got there late and the lake was closing. we made two more passes and went to the dock. while i went and got my truck my brother kept trolling around till i got to the launch ramp. well when he put it in low to come up to the trailer it started stalling again he finally got it to clear up and we put it on the trailer and left.
what could be causing this?
i read another guy had a similar problem and he put new plugs on it and it fixed the problem. could this be what i need to do?
I had the carbs rebuilt but when they tried adjusting them they could not get the boat to run to finish it. do you think i need to take it to the lake and try adjusting them?

Re: engine stalls if sitting in idle

i was reading the other topics that sound like mine and one of the things i read was maybe it could be a trigger problem. does this sound like a trigger problem. i tested the trigger and the #'s matched what the manual said they should be at. or does this sound like a carb problem ?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'd work with the carbs first. sound like idle adjustment.

thanks for the info that's what it was thinking but i wanted to run it buy you guys first to see if it was not the trigger or some other thhing.

i have been looking for a info on doing this but cant quite fiend it. do you know of any threads on here that can help me out.