DSLrunning, trouble setup of router

dolluper

Captain
Hi Guy's Finally got the DSL going ,now the big problem is hooking up the router....The program the connection is made to the server "EnterNET 300' has to be disabled to hook up the router and I need the connection to hook the router up .....what gives...No program no hookup is there any way around this or am I just nutts....By the way the server company won't give out any help they say they only support the connection.....yea right thanks
Windows 2000 OS If you have any ideas I would love to hear them

tommays

Admiral
Re: DSLrunning, trouble setup of router

You do not have to use there software to make the connection its just much easery for THEM that way to supply the great support you have found :)

you should be able to look at the router at its default like 192.168.1.1

With DSL the router has to supply the Name AND Password you would use from windows so it becomes a more complex setup

Its usally a PPPoE which will bring up the correct blanks to fill in

I would download the setup instructions from the maker and follow them for DSL

Tommays

Xcusme

Commander

You didn't mention what Make/Model router you have, but as tommays says, log into your router and change the settings to PPPOE.
Dump the EnterNet 300 .

Cabling between the modem, router and computer goes like this:

Plug phoneline into modem
Plug Cat5 jumper cable from modem to the WAN port on router
Plug another Cat5 cable from router (port 1-4..pick one) to computer NIC adaptor port.

Configure router for security settings etc. (if this is a new router) Heck, check your settings for the router even if it's not new!

i386

Captain

What type of DSL modem is it?

dolluper

Captain

Modem>>>Speedstream 5360
I tried to install the router....but the connection was lost after I dump the EN 300
reinstall the en300 and at least I'm back here....but still scratching my head about the router install...seem to go as far as it checking the connection and no further when using the router quick install disc
This is what I've done .shut computer down,turn off modem install cat cables,start modem,plug in power supply to router[everything lights up right] start computer install quick install disc for router and run it /program checks connections and produces an error every time so no further can I go
How do I log into the router?

i386

Captain

This may just complicate things but here I go...

Our DSL ISP here is Bellsouth. They use Westell DSL modems which are also routers. If you want to share your conection you can just plug the ethernet side of the "modem" into your network switch. The "modem" will have a DHCP server, port forwarding, and other features you'd expect to see on a typical broadband router. The thing with the Westell's is that it still lacks some features. So if you still want to use your router here's what you do:

Log into the Westel (usually http://192.158.1.154), go to expert mode, and change it from PPPoE to Bridged Ethernet. This essentially turns the "modem" (remember it's really a router) into a plain 'ol DSL modem. Then you connect your broadband router (Linksys, Netgear, etc...) and do the PPPoE (your isp username/password) in there.

I just Googled "EnterNET 300" and see that it's PPPoE software. It's what sends your username/password to your ISP. That's fine for just one computer but you want to use your router which has its own PPPoE client. So.. Uninstall the EnterNET 300 from your computer. You don't need it. Setup your router for PPoE and put in the username/password your ISP supploed you. You should have the phone line plugged into the DSL modem and an Ethernet cable doing from the DSL modem to the WAN (Internet) port on your router. You computer(s) will plug into the LAN port(s) on your router. If you're using a USB cable in any of this put it away. That's only used if you're wanting to install the Modem as a device in your computer. Definately not what you want to do with a router in the mix.

I hope that's clear as mud now.

Xcusme

Commander

Ok, here's the deal......we'll have to know the make model of the router...you'll need to check some Windows network settings and a bit more info would help.

Is this a new to you DSL Modem?
Is this a new to you router? Is it new or was it used in another system (cable or DSL system)?

When you can post the info above:
I'll detail the login to the router
The settings for the router
Tell you how to check your network settings in Windows

It's not difficult to do , but lets take this step by step.

dolluper

Captain

Everything is new out of the box.with install CD's I think the dum-e has left the building.As thoughs famous words from OBJ "get and read the manual" so I did.
point 1 get rid of EN-300
2 stop all anti ware programs
3 use router number19x.xxx.x.x in explorer address bar
as chipset will allow you in without connection from ISP
4 use this web based utiility to set up computer
Number 4 seems it will be a little tricky any hints here
I think I will need forsure
Router is a DLink WBR-1310 which Santa Clause
gave me
If it was only a carb setting or head replace it would
have been done long ago

Xcusme

Commander

Yup, reading the destructions is a good idea.

Windows Networking Setup:
Click Start,Settings, Control Panel
Click on Network and Dialup Connections
You should see an icon for Make a New Connection
You should also see 1 or more adaptors already defined.
Look for Local Area Connection icon, Right Click on this icon
Left Click on Properties
Hi-lite Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Left click on Properties
Pick Obtain an IP adress automatically
Pick Obtain DNS server address automatically
Click OK to save

Exit these screens and get back to your desktop, network setup is done (for now)

Router setup:

Open web browser (Firefox or Internet Explorer (MIE))
On top address line , type in 192.168.0.1, click Enter
This should open web based setup utility of router
Enter "admin" for login name (no quotes)
Leave the password blank
Click OK to enter the router setup

If this is all a bit overwhelming, you might want to go through the Connection Wizard.
You can setup the router manually, but there's a few things to be sure you change, like add a password for the router (it's blank by default) etc. WRITE DOWN YOUR NEW PASSWORD! Use a mixture of Letters,Numbers and Symbols
Ex: DOP$645* ....you get the idea....
BTW, this IS a case sensitive password.....

You'll have to tell the router what 'kind' of internet service you have, in your case pick PPPoE. You'll need your DSL login and password. Save the settings as you go along from screen to screen.

The Wizard mentions to un-install any 'connection software" too . This would be the EnterNet 300 program. You won't need the program because you account info is being heldin the router's setting. You won't be installing Enternet 300 on any other computers you may choose to add to the router either.

After you go through the Wizard, you can goto a 'status' page in the router setup and see that you are connected to the DSL ISP. It should show your current IP address that your ISP assigned to your router.

On Dlinks website, they show 3 different hardware versions of your router. There are manuals for each version of the hardware (H/W: ver. A1 or H/W: ver. B1 or H/W: ver D1) Your version # is printed on the routers nameplate sticker. Use the manual for your model hardware. There are probably subtle differences in the hardware and/or firmware on the router. It's best to use the manual for your model.

Two last thoughts.
When you get to the part of the router Wizard where you see an option to Clone the MAC address, do it. This copies your computers NIC (Network Interface Card) MAC address into the router.

When you see the option to turn on the routers DHCP, do it. You'll see " DHCP IP Address Range"
Enter : 192.168.0.100 in the first box
Enter : 192.168.0.110 in the second box
Enter 600 minutes for the Lease Time

This will allocate 10 IP addresses for other computers you may connect to your router (either with Cat5 cables OR wirelessly)
You can always come back into the router setup and change this range to allow more IP addresses if needed, but 10 IP's is usually enough.

There are a few more settings that are needed , but this should get you flying. BTW, if you don't have any wireless computers OR wireless laptops, turn OFF the wireless part of the router for now. You'll want to configure the wireless security/encryption option to keep the neighbor kids out of your router.

dolluper

Captain

Wow good stuff Xcusme Thankyou
Now if I read this right
1 check and change connection property's
2 Dump the crap .en300
3 shut off computer+ modem
4hook the router up
5 restart computer ,restart modem wait for power up
6hook power to router wait for power up
7get a beer
8click IE and enter 192xxxxxxx
9 Enter the utility and choose the wizzard
10 finish as a happy camper

Xcusme

Commander

Yea, that's pretty much it.....

I'll usually just connect the router to the computer, turn on both. Run browser and enter 192.168.0.1 on address line, and log into the router. I don't usually run the Wizard but it's best to run it when it's all new to you. And yes, hook up all the pieces, modem, router, computer etc.

The reason I mentioned in my last post to be sure you clone your computers MAC into the router (at the appropriate section) is some ISP's like to see the same computer hooked up to the modem. By cloning your computers MAC into the router, they will always 'see' your original computers MAC , since it's being fed to them by your router. If you change your main computer, they will see the original MAC. Since you were able to connect using just the modem and computer originally, they will now see things as usual, even tho you've installed a router. Sometimes, it's no big deal with the MAC address changing, but why confuse them, just clone your original MAC and be done with it. BTW, you can find your computers MAC by doing this:

Click Start
Click Run
In box type CMD, hit Enter
Dos window will open
Type ipconfig /all , hit Enter

You should see your Network Interface MAC address. It's 12 characters, in 6 sets of 2 characters.
Ex: 00-02-45-FE-AB-32

You should also see your current IP address that was issued FROM your router to your computer. Current subnet mask, current Gateway address etc.
FYI, the Gateway address should be 192.168.0.1...so the Gateway IS your router.....
Your 2 DNS server addresses should be the same as your router's IP address...again...192.168.0.1. Your DNS IP's might be different because you're 'Obtaining Automatically' in your network settings. Later I can show you how to setup your computers to have 'Static Ip Addresses' that don't change. This can make things a bit easier to sort out your network if you a few computers connected to your LAN.

I did notice in the manual for your router that it appears that the routers DHCP is not turned on by default, that's why I told you to manually add the From --To range of 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.110 (enough IP's for 10 computers to be connected to your router dynamically)

So to back track a bit, when you did the ipconfig /all command above, your current IP address would show you connected to the router with a current IP address of 192.168.0.100 ( this is the First assigned IP from the router) If you were to connect another computer to the router, it would get an IP of 192.168.0.101.....adding another computer would get x.x.x.103.....you get the idea.

All this stuff is intended to get you going with the modem and router. We can work at getting the wireless stuff sorted out later.

There are a few more settings to be made in the router, and you can do them without their Wizard. It's not hard to make changes, but these changes can make things run a bit smoother. Lastly, you'll want to backup all of your settings to a file on your hard drive,or better yet a thumb drive or floppy. With the settings backed up, you can later go into the router and reload all of your previous settings without resorting to starting from scratch with the Wizard, which is a real time saver.

Now it's time for ME to go grab a brew and finish configuring 3 computers....

dolluper

Captain

Boy oh boy that's real great info ,my wireless adaptor will be here next week or later{for lap]and I have a trannie re+re lined up for tomorrow,so I'm into the grease.Plus I promised to do some stuff on wifee's mile long list,so i think Fry's day I will give the router a whirl again Thanks a bunch!!Yea I copied this for reference,plus the 74 page manual I might get it done

dolluper

Captain

Busy day got everything done even the router....but how well with the router don't know....didn't see alot of things mentioned,it worked it quit and now running again.Xcusme maybe e-mail please @gmail .com

i386

Captain

BTW, make sure you put those DSL filters on all your phones.

dolluper

Captain

Thanks for the reminder i386 ....First thing I did before thinking of the router hook-up

Xcusme

Commander

dolluper, shoot me a PM with your phone #, I'll call ya...

Xcusme

Commander

dolluper...You've got Mail...8)

dolluper

Captain

Thanks Xcusme system seems to be A OK did the checks real secure now. neat site....just a backweb fix to do might just dump it. plus the elitemedia adware pest

Xcusme

Commander

Glad to hear that things are running as they should....

As for the Backweb, dump it for sure.....gees, these companies are getting nuts......