Im new

searay215

Recruit
hey im new to this forum. And i just bought a new boat, i bought a 1996 searay 215 I would like to ask if i should watch out for anything on this boat and whats good on the boat thanks

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Im new

The good news is you bought a boat! The bad news is you bought a boat. All kidding aside searay makes good boats but what do you have? Inboard/outboard or an outboard? There are different things to look for on each so we need to know that first. Welcome aboard!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard. You would be advised to post your questions over on the I/O forum as you will get responses from I/O experts over there. However, the engine in your boat is 350 Chevy which has been around for years and is a reliable power plant. Take care of it and see that it gets required service. Same for the outdrive. Ignore service requirements and you will run up repair bills at an alarming rate.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Forgot to add that when you post questions about your boat, be certain to include the engine and outdrive model and serial numbers. When you post performance questions, especially when dealing with props, speed, etc., make sure you post wide open throttle RPM, speed (gps or speedometer), and what the current prop diameter, pitch and type are (aluminum, stainless steel, three blade, or four blade).

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard searay dude!!

SeaRay's are fine boats. High quality and good resale. Whenever someone asks about a particular boat, I start with saying that basically all boats are a combination of the same basic parts. The engine and drive system that you have noted is probably the most popular I/O out there. I am guessing a carbed 5.7, but it is possible it is EFI. If carbed, that can be the source of some issues, so just take note. I am also guessing, but pretty sure it is an Apha 1 Drive. As I said, most popular, but not necessarily the best. Alpha's are decent drives, but you need to become quickly accustomed to the proper way to shift them in and out of gear. Hopefully you have an O&M manual for the engine and drive. You should read it cover to cover. And as Silvertip says, maintenance.

Back to the pile of parts. SeaRay uses good hardware and mounts it all properly, this IMHO is what separates good boats from bad. Anything on your boat can and will break. Good stuff less often. You need to pay special attention to all mounting hardware of everything fastened to anything everywhere :% Stuff simply comes loose and boats also break sitting on the trailer. If you are a tinkerer, tinker away, if you are not, you need to find a shop that you can trust.

I assumed this was your first boat, but actually after rereading your post, I'm not quite sure. Either way, lots of good info here 8)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if the exhaust manifolds, have not been changed it's probably time. learn to winterize it yourself, you will save big bucks. agree the i/o forum is great, with great people to help.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Searay215, welcome to iboats.
And let me invite you to check out the Dockside Chat forum page.
There is a thread there that is titled "FREE POPCORN"
It is about our 2007 iboats get together, which will be held near you.

You are invited to stop in for the day, or stay for the whole weekend.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

SeaRay 215, If you boat in fresh water, you have a distinct advantage over the "salty" IOs. Your exhaust manifolds will last quite a long time (15-20 years), the oil pan and timing cover shouldn't rust out, and you likely won't find unknown chunks of steel in your bilge, like I do, here in the East.

Be sure and take care of the outdrive. It is the most fragile piece of the drive train. Don't run the motor above idle, with it tilted above the "trim" limit, or you risk damage to the u-joints. Change the Lower unit gear oil at least once a season (twice is better), and use marine gear oil. Change the waterpump impeller every 2-3 seasons. Use the Mercruiser 25W-40 oil, or a straight weight SAE 30 or SAE 40 in the motor. Never use automotive multi weight oil. Keep the grease fittings pumped up with marine grease.

Good luck and keep posting.

steve201

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the forum..and as stated about maintenance...keep everything checked and in good working order....and since you a new boater...(I'm assuming)..please take the time to enroll in an approved boating safety course....it's worth the few bucks that the CG or the aux. charge to put that class on and it will give you worlds of knowledge and answer most of your newbie questions....d:)