Anyone here read Culture Warrior?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Got it for Christmas. Have about 20 pages left to go. Just wondering if anyone else read it and what you think.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: Anyone here read Culture Warrior?

Reading it now, about half way through it. I like it so far. Has some very good points I think.

D

DJ

I did read it. It doesn't matter what I thought of it.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I'm surprised more people on this forum haven't read it. Especially seeing as there the majority of members seem to be Independants or Republicans. Bill O'reilly makes good points, and he can support his possition. Makes for interesting reading.

Currently the NY Times #1 best selling non-fiction hard cover.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

From the NY Times today:

nytimes.jpg

PW2

Commander

Nobody, save perhaps Ann Coulter, sells more books and makes more money, telling a defined segment of the population what they want to hear.

More power to him. It's the American Way!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hey BB, I'm just repeating what I read.

Anyway, Mr. O'reilly does not miss a chance to promote his book.

This is from O'reilly's web site. It is a full page ad that ran in the NY Times.

cwfullpage-large.jpg

treedancer

Commander

Guess I’ll go to the library and see if they have his book in yet; anybody know what section it will be in ,fiction??8)

<<, O’Reilly falsely claimed he's only "called for one boycott ... and that's been France"

I've called for one boycott in my 10 years on the air, and that's been France."

Just one week earlier on his radio show, O'Reilly called for boycotts of a number of other organizations of which he has been critical, including The New York Times.

O'Reilly's comments came during the June 26 broadcast of his nationally syndicated radio show, The Radio Factor. >>>

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Just out of curriousity, what were those other organizations and why would he be critical of them?

And I would like to read more about that. What website did you get that info from?

treedancer

Commander

Quote mark42

Just out of curriousity, what were those other organizations and why would he be critical of them

<snip
On the June 20 broadcast of The Radio Factor, O'Reilly declared that he would "name the names" of a number of organizations that are purportedly "helping the enemy," and then told his listeners: "t's up to you guys to take action against them in a sense of boycotting their products, letting them know that this is unacceptable." Later in the program, O'Reilly revealed the groups he believes are "helping the enemy"; that list included the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), the International Red Cross, the BBC, Air America Radio, and The New York Times>

To me this one is worth boycotting ,judge for yourself.

<This is not the first time O'Reilly has called for a boycott and later denied having done so. On the August 27, 2002, edition of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly attacked PepsiCo for offering rapper Chris "Ludacris" Bridges an endorsement deal. O'Reilly called for "responsible Americans to fight back and punish Pepsi for using a man who degrades women, who encourages substance abuse, and does all the things that hurt particularly the poor in our society." O'Reilly continued: "I'm calling for all Americans to say, Hey, Pepsi, I'm not drinking your stuff>

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Where did you get that info? What website are you quoting from?

I don't know about some of those organizations, but I can tell you the ACLU is a very F***** Up organization. They do more harm to the good old USA than good.

tommays

Admiral

I like the show BUT if you dont see things HIS way its like getting FLAMED on a forum :)

Tommays

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Mark42 said:
Where did you get that info? What website are you quoting from?

I don't know about some of those organizations, but I can tell you the ACLU is a very F***** Up organization. They do more harm to the good old USA than good.

Plus, what people do not realize is that we are paying for the ACLU. Although I do not know what percentage of their budget is supplied by the Federal Government, I understand it is substantial.

Maybe PITA should apply for Federal Money. Their are enough leftist bureaucrats that they would probably stand a pretty good chance of getting some.:%

treedancer

Commander

Quote Boomyal

Plus, what people do not realize is that we are paying for the ACLU. Although I do not know what percentage of their budget is supplied by the Federal Government, I understand it is substantial.

Hey Boom where did that info come from? News to me, got a link?

treedancer

Commander

Quote Plainsman

And as taxpayers, when the federal or local government pay these fees, it is OUR money paying them.

This was at the first link that you provided me. Click on about the ACLU tab. I put the relevant part in bold print.

The ACLU is supported by annual dues and contributions from its members, plus grants from private foundations and individuals. We do not receive any government funding.

http://www.aclu.org/about/index.html

The other two links that you provide are calling for the overturning of lawyer fees when the Local/state/federal, governments loose their cases. Are you against civil lawsuits?

Other than them taking loosing cases to trail, what Taxpayer money is involved? Seems to me that the Governments involved should look at past precedents a bit closer, rather than waste taxpayer money like that.

If I was a betting man I would bet a dollar to a donut that the local (Politicians/district Attorneys) knew that they had a loosing case when they went to trail, rather than have the label put on them that they were soft on (crime or, what ever) and taking a chance on loosing there next election, they chose to go ahead with what they knew was a loosing cases to trail, knowing that the chances of winning was practically nil.

The ACLU isn’t taking the money; it is the politicians that are throwing it away. Here are a few more ACLU case you might comment on, I doubt if I will here a peep about them.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — Talk radio host Rush Limbaugh probably never expected the American Civil Liberties Union to become one of his staunch supporters.
Monday, January 12, 2004
By Catherine Donaldson-Evans

But the privacy rights group was on his side Monday when its Florida branch filed a "friend-of-court" motion on behalf of Limbaugh arguing state officials were wrong in seizing his medical records for their drug probe.
Saturday, October 28, 2006 2:46 AM CDT

NATCHITOCHES, La. - The American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana filed a lawsuit Friday on behalf of a man who was chased away from the front of a Wal-Mart store when he tried to protest what he believes is the company's stand on gays.

A Natchitoches police officer told Edwin Crayton to leave on or about Oct. 4 after he stood in front of Wal-Mart with a protest sign that read, "Christians: Wal-Mart Supports Gay Lifestyles And Marriage. Don't Shop There," according to a news release from the ACLU.
Crayton was told he could not return until he obtained permits from the police and the mayor, said Joe Cook, executive director of the ACLU of Louisiana.

"Government violates the principles in the First Amendment when it puts an over-broad permit scheme in place to restrain free speech in a public place," Cook said. "The sweep of the ordinance is so wide that it could encompass a chance meeting on the street corner by two strangers." ..

http://www.pbcommercial.com/articles/2006/10/28/ap-state-ar/d8l18u7o1.txt