Erratic voltage

Javelin 353

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My voltage gauge sometimes reads about 12v and the boat seams to have a miss but most of the time it is at 16v and runs fine 1991 Johnson 70 hp. Should I replace the regulatore all wire tight and clean.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Erratic voltage

Voltage will not stay steady at any one level. However, at idle voltage should at least be battery voltage which is 12.6. As RPM increases the voltage should rise which it apparently does. Once the engine is running, the charging system has nothing to do with engine performance so the miss is not related. The charging system exists solely to charge the battery. The battery is only needed to start the engine. Once the engine is running the battery is going along for the ride. 16V is a little high for a regulated system but check it with a known accurate meter. I don't think you have a problem.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Silvertip, I have a point to think about.

Full charge batt voltage around my area is 12.75V. Charging voltage is around 14.5 or so. That's about a 15% increase in voltage which could be enough to cause a dying component in the ignition system to act up; switching transistor in the trigger module breaking down prematurely (firing the plug early) or ignition coil arcing (plug not getting enough voltage to fire), both of which could cause misfiring especially at the higher rpm's.

Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

This is a 3 cylinder engine using the CD3 ignition system. I believe the charging system coils are separate entities from the ignition system charge and sense coils. Hence no connection between the charging system voltage and the ignition system miss. But -- I've been wrong before. d:)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Agree my man. The voltage I'm referring to is the actual battery voltage which is being increased by the energy addition from the alternator while it recharges the batt.

Mark

reeldutch

Lieutenant

your battery voltage does not charge the capacitors in the powerpack.
the charge coil does.
the sillecone controlled rectifiers SCR switches are closed by the coils in the trigger assembly to release the voltage stored in the capasitor, and is also isolated from the battery.

the powerpack has its own rectifier Diodes and a regulator inside the powerpack.

if you have a miss check the voltage outputs and check the ignition coils Ohms test.

i dont think it has much to do with your regulator rectifier.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well, me too I guess. If the power pack power is internally regulated than forget what I said. d:)

Mark