The deed is done!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Saddam is dead. I hope this helps the Iraqis get on with their lives. If not, it was not meant to be. For the life of me I cannot understand how a group of people who have lived under such tyranny cannot pull together to put their lives back on a realistic path.

Then I have never lived in Ireland or Iraq!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: The deed is done!

Hasta luigi Saddamster, another mission accomplished.

P.S. Much easier to honor both of your threads with a C & P

crunch

Commander

I guess it all depends on what "ideals of honor" you were brought up under. I haven't researched the Irish as much as I have the Islamic world so I can't offer an opinion about them, but the two real, and maybe insurmountable problems in the Islamic world is the religion... or I should say the interpretation of the religion, and the inbreeding of the people.

I saw one study of Saudi Arabia that showed 70% of marriages are between sister and brother or 1st cousins... if you know anything about genetics you will know how "high strung" that can make you.... and this has been going on for centuries.

Combine that with the "interpretations of the religion", and it's not hard to see why they are so "12th century" in their thinking and actions.

Saddam is dead, hopefully it won't be, "long live Saddam".

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Talk about stupid, on MSNBC this anchor women said about the death of saddam ( I am paraphrasing)

President Ford will be honored for days by those Americans that loved him, will saddam have the same treatment in Iraq?

Idiots!!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

G
saddam_hang.gif
Good point Customb,The people there are pitifully messed up..

But .......

crunch

Commander

So were the Europeans in the 12th century and America in the 16th.

The world problem with The Middle East today is not so much their "backwardness"... that could be ignored if it wasn't for the Strategic assets they are sitting on, and the power those petro dollars give them in the world of realpolitic and the funding that goes to terrorists from those backward Governments... and make no mistake here, all of the Government in The Middle East fund terrorists of one stripe or another.

To solve this problem we must do one of two things, wean the whole world off oil... that includes China, Russia, and India... just to mention the biggest users.

Or take all of the oil fields in the Mid East and administer them as a world strategic asset, open to all of the "civilized Nations" on an equal base, and starve the barbarians of funds.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Or take all of the oil fields in the Mid East and administer them as a world strategic asset, open to all of the "civilized Nations" on an equal base, and starve the barbarians of funds.[/quote]

I like the reasoning you got there Customb..

rolmops

Vice Admiral

custombycrunch said:
To solve this problem we must do one of two things, wean the whole world off oil... that includes China, Russia, and India... just to mention the biggest users.

Or take all of the oil fields in the Mid East and administer them as a world strategic asset, open to all of the "civilized Nations" on an equal base, and starve the barbarians of funds.

Interesting point,you got there.
But do explain.Who exactly is to choose which nation is barbarian?
Or is it crystal clear that the USA is superior to all other nations and therefore has the right to judge ,pick and choose which country deserves and which country does not?
Your idea starts with the presumption that we are better than the rest.That is a possibility but not neccecarily an honest one.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

rolmops said:
custombycrunch said:

Or is it crystal clear that the USA is superior to all other nations and therefore has the right to judge ,pick and choose which country deserves and which country does not?
Your idea starts with the presumption that we are better than the rest.That is a possibility but not neccecarily an honest one.

It is exactly that sort of thinking that makes most of the world despise us......
What is it that entitles the US ( or anyone else) for that matter, to middle eastern oil reserves?
Because we need it?
My boat needs some gas, how would you feel if I came over to your house & siphoned, say, 20-30 gallons or so, & said that I was entitled because I need it & because I think that you are a barbarian...:}
That would be rather presumptious of me, wouldn't you say?.......
Rather presumptious of them Arabs to make their homes over our oil......JK

QC

Supreme Mariner

Sorry crunch can't hang with you on this one.

First I definitely want data on the inbreeding. I am just curious although I think the custom of arranged marriage etc. is backward, I don't believe genetics is driving any of these people to do anything. It is their culture and values that determine the decisions they make.

Second you are feeding the "US steals oil" lies. Yes, we want access, but no one is going to decide who gets the oil. In fact if the US did what you say then the entire military strength of Russia and China would be instantly unleashed. Waaaaaaay bad idea.

Third for rolmops and Haut. Defining good and evil is a "good" thing. Deciding who is worthy of oil is not. I believe that the fundamental difference between conservatives and liberals is: Liberals believe that defining right and wrong is the beginning of the problem, while conservatives believe that defining right and wrong is the beginning of the solution . . . Chew on that a little. Comments requested.

crunch

Commander

Or is it crystal clear that the USA is superior to all other nations and therefore has the right to judge

I was thinking more on the line of all the civilized countries getting together and taking the oil fields, not just the US alone. Would you let the 3 year old next door play with a .357 or would you take it away from him for the good of both of you?

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

"First I definitely want data on the inbreeding. I am just curious although I think the custom of arranged marriage etc. is backward, I don't believe genetics is driving any of these people to do anything. It is their culture and values that determine the decisions they make."

In all semetic religions it is forbidden for siblings to marry and produce offspring, though it is permissible for first cousins to do so, some customs do advise against it.
Marriage between siblings was a common practice for Romans prior to their adoption of and conversion to Christianity.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

custombycrunch said:
Or is it crystal clear that the USA is superior to all other nations and therefore has the right to judge

I was thinking more on the line of all the civilized countries getting together and taking the oil fields, not just the US alone. Would you let the 3 year old next door play with a .357 or would you take it away from him for the good of both of you?

You know,what you say is that we need some kind of international forum,which adheres to certain standards.Something like what the United Nations is supposed to be.

crunch

Commander

Something like what the United Nations is supposed to be.

And is not. I think it would have to outside of the UN, like maybe NATO?

Skinnywater

Commander

Sorry crunch can't hang with you on this one.

The right thing to do properly is to wean ourselves from any resource that places US in a vulnerable position.
Especially if it is supplied by a culture that is in odds to our values and national security.

This whole concept of 'worlds police" and the movement towards imperialism is policy that should be changed.

Since the deed is done, the time is near for a some strategic changes in domestic and foreign policy.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Don't know about you folks, but around here everyone was outside shooting thier guns in the air! Woo Hoo!

:devil:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

QC said:
I believe that the fundamental difference between conservatives and liberals is: Liberals believe that defining right and wrong is the beginning of the problem, while conservatives believe that defining right and wrong is the beginning of the solution . . . Chew on that a little. Comments requested.

I think you have articulated a fundemental difference between the two, QC. One has to dismantle the structure of rights and wrongs to take us in the direction that Liberals want to drag us.

Look at our modern society today. I think they have been very effective at doing just that.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

QC said:
Third for rolmops and Haut. Defining good and evil is a "good" thing. Deciding who is worthy of oil is not. I believe that the fundamental difference between conservatives and liberals is: Liberals believe that defining right and wrong is the beginning of the problem, while conservatives believe that defining right and wrong is the beginning of the solution . . . Chew on that a little. Comments requested.

I do not belong to a standard general group called "liberals",so I can only talk for myself.
I do believe that the definition of right and wrong is in the eye of the beholder.Good and bad are more general concepts that imply a moral standard.We can only identify a problem and our opinion of, it according to our moral sense of good and bad (or evil if you wish).
In order to deal out justice,we must begin with seeing everybody as equals and it is there that there is a difference between liberal and conservative.Where the liberal will try to be very evenhanded and so come up with a verdict that respect all parties,the conservative is more interested in his/her situation and will see that as the objective position.
In other words: Liberals try to find the common good and conservatives are more concerned about their own good.(please do forgive this generalisation).
There is room for both in this world and a mixture of the 2 ideas is probably the most succesful way to go