Suspected warped block...

gregmercer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I suspect I have a warped block...

I have a Volvo 230. If I remove the head and head gasket, how do I then go about checking for a warped block. Is just a metal ruler precise enough to show warpag in my block?

If the block is warped, can a machinest fix it without removing the engine?

Thanks!!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Suspected warped block...

You need a precision metal straight edge to check for warpage, metal rulers aren't that accurate.
IF, it was warped, it not only has to come out of the boat, but be completely dissasembled to machine it flat. You can't have all those grinding floating around in the engine.
What is your problem, and why do you think it's a warped block and not a warped head?

flashback

Captain

Greg, some of the pros will help you out here. I have not heard of a block warping, usually it is the head. I suppose you could use a straight edge and a feeler gauge to check it but I think I would rather take the head to a machine shop and have a pro check it..if infact the block is warped, then I would think it would be trash as the crank and cam bearings would be out of alignment..

Bondo

Staff member

gregmercer said:
I suspect I have a warped block...

Just How dd you come to this conclusion,..??....

gregmercer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well originally, I had low compression on the number 1 cylinder and 90% leak down. The leak was coming out between the head and block so I removed the head and took it to the machinist. He said the head was warped and planned it down flat, I then replaced the head gasket and torqued it down to the correct specs. The engine started after this, and the compression in number 1 cylinder was back up to 130......but now I have low compression on the number 4 cylinder and about 90% leak down. The engine will also not rev over 1900 RPMS. It gets up to 1900, then the engine dies.

The air again is coming out between the head and block, and I just had the head planned...

So I suspected possibly a warped block... I however do not have a lot of engine knowledge... so hopefully you guys can help me out.

If I had the money I would take it to a pro to get fixed, but I am just a college kid on a very small budget. I appreciate all you guy's help more than I can express. Thanks!!!!

Bondo

Staff member

It's Possible that the Block is Bad,......

If it Is,..... Replacement Might be the Cheaper, Easier way Out.......

To Check it before Pulling the engine,.....
The Block's Decks have to be Cleaned,.....
Then a Quality steel Straight Edge is lain accross the Block Deck,+ Feeler Gages are Inserted between the Block,+ Straight Edge........
The Thickness of the Feeler Gage is the amount of Warpage........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When you pull the head back off, take the boat and the head back to the machine shop and have them recheck the head AND the block for flatness. They have the equipment to do it, and should only take them a few minutes to do them both. Then you will know for sure.