Taco conection

Chris H

Cadet
Hi and Happy Holidays,
I have a merc 200 blackmax 1996 v6, runs great now, thanks to all for there past help, problem today is I'm try to connect a taco, RPM counter, ive got the extention lead that goes from the quick siver remote, this has four wires from it, the manuel does,t say which wire to put on which terminal, it has three, grnd which I,ve conected to the (-) battery direct, the other two says signal and batt, there are four wires coming from the remote extention, which conect where?, thanks for you help again.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Taco conection

The fourth wire is the lamp for the instrument. Same color as the rest of the instruments. If you wired the tach ground all the way back to the battery that wasn't necessary. Every instrument has a ground connection on it. You could connect to any one of them. Same for +12V. 12V at each instrument is switched by the ignition switch.

Chris H

Cadet

Thanks for the help, have a happy new year, Taco works good, only thing maybe you can help again, when in neutral it seams to read 1600 - 1800 rpm, when I run the engine on the water in gear, that changes to about 750 - 850 and the goes up to 4000 rpms when I accelerate, is this normal.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Nope. Did you check the dial on the back of the tach. that dial should be set to 6P. Wide open should read in the 5500 RPM range. Idle should be 650 or thereabouts.