Compression Numbers - Are these bad?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Hello everyone,

I havent really been having any problems but I boughta new compression tester and decided to try it out. Here are the numbers from my Johnson 150 (1995 Model J150EXEOM sn G03788662)

top to bottom from the rear

87 88
89 90
88 88

Any comments are gladly appriciated :)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Compression Numbers - Are these bad?

They are a tad low but its good they are close to the same on each cylinder.You might try a de carb to bring the numbers up.Most say 100 psi is a minimum.I'd try the decarb but wouldn't worry as long as they stay pretty even.

iwombat

Captain

They might be low just because of cranking speed. I really wouldn't worry about the values, only if they all agree. And, they do!

oleliner

Cadet

at one time i checked the shop manual , about compression , and it stated that as long as they are within 10% of each other.. that is ok ..not to worry..

Walker

Captain

They sound pretty low to me for a looper. Could be your guage and as already mentioned it may be time for a decarb

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Does sound a little low !!! there again how good is the gauge ??? I had one many years ago that read everything about 10% low.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Did you have all plugs out of the engine when you did the test? Static compression depends on starter speed. It's spinning speed is much slower with all the plugs in.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are no to testers that read alike, hot engine vs cold engine, all relative. being equal is more important than the number. unless all are 50, then consult another tester.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

did u have the throttles wide open?
u will get different readings also