oil injector failure

dafox99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, I don't have enough info for a diagnosis, but was hoping for general info. My dad's buddy has an Evinrude 115. Don't know the year. He tells me an oil injector failed, and he burned up a cylinder. He said he did not get a warning or overheat alarm. I was thinking there was a fail safe that shut down the ignition if an injector failed .. as well as a warning light. Shouldn't something have happened to try to protect the motor if an injector failed?

dafox99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: oil injector failure

Thanks DWJ. Did / Does Evinrude make fuel injected 115 hp motors? If so, would this logic still hold? I was thinking the Ficht's were fuel injected, but didn't know if others were. Again, I don't know this motor, but I'm betting it is not a Ficht.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

IF the Evinrude was a carbureted motor, the oil injector could NOT ruin one cylinder. For an explanation, go to:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

A FICHTor an E-TEC Evinrude is a DFI motor which means direct fuel injected.

On any of the motors, the oiling system has an alarm foreither low oil or no oil, and on DFI engines, the motor will slow down the rpms if a malfunction occurs.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

In the first years of the VRO (1985ish), failures were not unusual. But they worked out the kinks quickly and later versions are very reliable. But the introduction, which had it's problems, led to the legend that VROs are failure-prone and everything and anything that causes a powerhead failure is blamed on the VRO. For truly VRO-related failures, I find in the vast majority of cases that water has collected on the bottom of the oil tank and the VRO pumps that instead of oil. Those tanks are usually mounted on the open, exposed to rain. Or somebody neglected to take the drain plug out and enough rain collected in the boat to cover the oil tank.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

And another $.02 worth.....make sure the alarms associated with the OMS (VRO) are working. These warn you in advance that a problem exists' and if you pay attention to them, can save the engine from catastrohic damage. The OEM service manual will explain how to check the alarms.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The alarm horn can be tested by simply turning the key to ON. A beep should be heard. Although I "generally" agree, I dispute the statement that an Oil failure can't affect just one cylinder since it injects oil before it gets to the carbs. All cylinders will not necessarily fail (score, seize, or burn a piston) at exactly the same time. It doesn't happen that way in cars, trucks, airplanes, outboards or inboards. A more accurate statement would be that if more than one cylinder is affected it may be an oil related failure.

dafox99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys,

All info is appreciated and useful. I think from a common sense standpoint, if oil fails to reach multiple cylinders, one cylinder will fail first while there should be visible wear/heat/scoring on at least some of the others. I'm not involved in the tear down on this one, but will ask the mechanic afterwards. Thanks again.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

But an overheat can cause the same thing to happen. I've seen auto engines that were run without oil (or very little oil) and every cylinder and bearing journal is perfect except for the one that seized first and killed the engine. This same thing happens in the marine industry. Only a tear down will reveal what really happened.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

dafox99 said:
I think from a common sense standpoint, if oil fails to reach multiple cylinders, one cylinder will fail first while there should be visible wear/heat/scoring on at least some of the others.

As a rule of thumb, a single piston failure is normally a lean condition or very rarely, erratic timing or doublefiring.

If a bank of cylinders show damage, probably an overheat condition.

If all cylinders fail, usually a severe overheat.

An oil failure usually shows itself with "blued" rod bearings, or in some cases, compleley seized. If you have damaged pistons, check the rod bearings. IF they are NOT blue, then it was not an oil failure. Wrist pin bearings can get blued even with lots of oil because they absorb the heat from the pistons, especially when the cylinder runs lean.