removing shifting and gas cables???

georgiaboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
how do I remove the shifting and gas cables from a 1987 50 classic Merc? I am trying to swap motors on my boat.

Laddies

Banned
Re: removing shifting and gas cables???

The rear of the cables are held with a spring cap that may be turned or slide and the front of them are held with a lever that must be pushed in an turned like a zos fastener

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: removing shifting and gas cables???

On the throttle arm, there is a retainer that tips and swings out to disengage the pivot. You might have to loosen the phillips screw a few turns if the installer snugged it up

On the shift slide, it's kind of the same thing. It should just tip and swing to disengage the pivot, but you might have to loosen the 7/16 locknut a bit if the installer snugged it up.

Neither need to be snugged if they are properly adjusted. They're spring-loaded. But snugging is a good idea anyhow.

The trunions (plastic or brass swivels 6" or so from the ends) are retained with a plastic cover that unsnaps from the upper pin and swings out of the way, or you can remove it altogether once it is swung out of the way. This system is on motors with fiberglass hoods.

Are you sure of the year? Earlier models with the tin wrap-around cowl are a lot trickier, with pins with levers through the trunions. The ends are retained the same as described above. The retaining pin levers have to be pushed in about 1/8", then swung to the left about 90 degrees and pulled about an inch through slots in the trunions.