2002 Yamaha 115 OB 4-Stroke Starting

gearyg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I have been reading in my manual that this motor will only start in the neutral position. However, will it also start if giving it some gas in the "high speed" neutral position? I have tried it a few time, and it would only turn over, but not start...I then put it in the neutral position and it seemed to start...not sure if this is a coincidence or not....any input?

Also, once in a while I get a backfire when I am trying to start it. I gapped the plugs and all of the wires are tight...any advice on this one...thanks.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2002 Yamaha 115 OB 4-Stroke Starting

That's an EFI. Don't give it any throttle to start. The computer doesn't like that. It will not start or even crank over in gear. That is a safety feature that has been around for decades now. Don't worry about a few backfires at startup. If it does it when it's warm, then you might have a sticky injector. But within a few seconds of starting, I wouldn't worry about it. You can run most any automotive gasoline additives such as those made for sticky injectors. Just follow the instructions and don't put in twice as much hoping it will work twice as fast. That's when people get into trouble with additives. If you use your boat infrequently, using a stabilizer in the fuel on a regular basis would be a good idea.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

kinda what Willy says.
however I know you already know that because of your diligence in reading your operators manual.
what was the question ?

gearyg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I took Willy's advice and it is great. I was so used to my old 2-stroke where I had to give it some throttle in the "high speed neutral position" in order for it to start....just wasn't used to all of this newer technology...but I have to admit, it is great....thanks guys!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

its not the new technology so many of my customers have a problem with. its the TOTAL disreguard for reading the operators manual(instructions).
I get this exact same question week after week even though at delivery I went over the operators manual with the customer and used a yellow high liter on small details such as : Engine starting procedure.
but even quite a number of yamaha 2 strokes do not require throttle advancing to start.
in fact some wont start if the throttle is advanced.
my suggestion to every outboard owner is to read the operators manual until your familiar with it.
most operators manuals are still avalible from your local dealer for a nominal fee.