90 hp Johnson, 2000 oceanpro no spark

watermellon1

Seaman Apprentice
Permission to Come Aboard?!..... I ve got great help from yall wiht a mercruiser, a friend, who sold me the mercruiser is having trouble with his johnson, turns over but no spark, hve checked fuses, connections, battery, cranks strong but no spark, also checked kill switch, seems to be working fine, friend says just died.
Also need to know who sells the best manuals. Need one for Johnson, and Mercruiser

thanks.

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: 90 hp Johnson, 2000 oceanpro no spark

factory manuals are the best, then aftermarket
u need to test trigger/stator/powerpack/coils
u will need a meter and a dva also

watermellon1

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I m new to outboards, so could you elaborate a little for me?, Am I testing for voltage or continuity? I think I can find the coil and powerpack, don't know what the trigger is

thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

You'll be testing for peak voltage from the power pack and charge coil. The charge coil, part of the stator under the flywheel, provides the charge to the power pack. The trigger is what tells the power pack to fire at the correct time. The trigger assembly is also under the flywheel.

Most likely the power pack has failed but on the chance that the coil or trigger assembly has failed, they should be tested before spending money on parts.

The OEM manual will give you specific info on the engine your working on and troubleshooting procedures. That's why they are the prefered service manual.

You can get the OEM service manual through any J/Rude dealer ship. Make sure you have the model number of the engine when you order. It's well worth the investment.

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Watermelon, does this engine have the Optical Ignition?