How much does it cost to repitch a prop and how good a job do they usually do.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
OMC Aluminum prop 176266 10 inch by 9 pitch by 4 Blade. Can it be repitched to 10 inch by 8 pitch by 4 blade or 10 inch by 7 pitch by 4 blade. Also how much does this cost. Useing this prop on a 1975 15 hp kicker on back of a 21 foot Aluminum boat that weighs 3000 pounds.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: How much does it cost to repitch a prop and how good a job do they usually d

Re: How much does it cost to repitch a prop and how good a job do they usually d

Cost varies, but it's cheaper than a new prop. Then again, having two props is never a bad idea. I always suggest having props of different pitches for different duties, depending on the situation. Say one for speed and one for towing.

Aluminum prop pitch can be changed by 2", stainless by 1". Adding cupping adds pitch as well. But the thing that can't be changed is the angle at which the blades are attached to the hub, so repitched props aren't necessarily as efficient performers as those that are made that way n the first place.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

If your boat was proped wrong as mine was it can make a real difference, i picked up 5mph, smoother ride less vibration from the engine and leg..........cost me what 350 for that................very cheap as far as boating goes........8)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the information.
This motor started as the main motor for a 14 foot 200 pound aluminum boat with a 9 1/2 inch by 10 by 3 blade P/N 386118.
I changed to a 9 3/8 inch by 9 pitch by 3 Satinless Steel and was perfect for the 14 footer.

Then moved to a kicker for my 21 foot 3000 Pound boat. The 9 3/8 by 9 by 3 P/N 389892 still works very well on the 21 foot boat but will not back up very well. Since the main use now is backing into the wind and swells to slow our drift when offshore fishing I bought the 176266 10 inch by 9 pitch by 4 blade high thrust.
This prop will back up at four times the speed but in foward is slower than the Stainless Steel.
In fact if apply full foward power the motor will load up and die. So I figure it is way over pitched.

If I decide to repitch likely will buy anoher same prop and have it repitched instead of taking a chance of messing up my main prop now.

Offshore can not run over about 1/3 throttle anyway as when it is rough prop will come out of the water at times and engine will rev up. Then when it drops back in the water can break the flywheel key. I added 5 inches to the shaft length but the motor will still come out some times. Also power head will sometimes go completely under the water.

I have not been able to find a high thrust prop for this motor with a lower pitch. Reverse is by far the most important unless the main motor should fail sometime. It is our back up motor just in case.

I will need to call a prop shop and get a quote. The prop is $135 new.

Again thanks for the info.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

James Propeller Service (has a www site) has been doing props for 35 years that I know of. Did several for me. Ask them.

Mark