Finally! The Force 150 Blew Up.

Downrigger

Seaman Apprentice
My Force 150 finally blew up this year after leaving me stranded 3 times in the last 2 years in the ocean and I picked up a clean low hours 98 carburated Merc 175 this week. I'm getting all the controls, oil tank, etc with the motor. Are there any other issues besides the 40 gals of mixed fuel still in my tank that I need to worry about? Will the original tach, voltmeter, ignition switch, etc work? Looks like my new AFB rack helm/streering will work just fine. The Merc was on my boat's twin (98 2002WA) and the previous owner is switching to a 4 stroke.

Any suggestions or help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Larry
8)

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Finally! The Force 150 Blew Up.

I would suggest selling the force parts on ebay, lots of people lookin for parts. I don't think that the tach will work, force used a 20 pole tach, I would think that the ignition switch and voltmeter would be fine as long as you hook them up to the correct wires. I am sure others, like Roscoe will give you more definitive help

AlanR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Blew up as in seized or threw a rod? If it was a rod when you heard the clacking noise I hope you held the throttle wide open to show it whos boss for the last time. I did that to my 45 chrysler.. it started to knock so I held it wide open and drove around till the rod went threw the side of the motor. Guess wur its at now. Bout 40 feet under in the middle of the lake. My paddle and my arms were more reliable than that peice of garbage

Downrigger

Seaman Apprentice

Running at full throttle out of Bodega Bay CA and only getting 25 mph out of the boat, suddenly it reved up and was getting 35 and then boom nothing but sputter. Got it home, pulled the plugs and cranked it over. Water was spraying from 3 out of 4 cylinders. Let it sit over night and she was seized up. Looked inside the spark plug holes and all I see is rust. Time for a re-power since the powerhead bolts are rusted solid, the motor mounts are busted and I'm told I have the old and unreliable ignition system.

The motor was a piece of crap anyway from the day I bought the boat. Worse mistake I ever made. I'll be glad to see it go since I have never trusted it from the first time out and subsequent long haul on the kicker back to port. That happened 3 times in 2 years with the last being a 15 mile trek at 5 mph on the 15 horse kicker.

Larry