wellcraft 20' 5.0L OMC outdrive Question

Hardboiled

Seaman
i got an old Wellcraft 20 feet steplift with a engine i suppose is 5.0Liter ford & uses carburetor + Omc cobra outdrive or something similar.
I want some opinion about this Engine and outdrive if is any good or any info i should know, i have no idea if the engine runs cause it looks a a little rusty from above no idea about it. and what HP these engines got?

Im currently fixing the boat floor and outside fron damage and this is the first boat i ever had and it didnt cost me anything cause it is old and damage, i think i read on the boat YEAR 1986 i believe. thanksall.

tommays

Admiral
Re: wellcraft 20' 5.0L OMC outdrive Question

If the floor has damage then what’s under the floor generally has problems also

OMC is out of production so parts and service are hit and miss depending on where you live

I would not go forward without being sure the drive and motor run correctly as repairing one that age can cost a huge amount of money

Tommays

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

In 1986 I’m pretty sure the 5.0 was rated at around 230hp. Lots of general info here re the Cobra Drive’s they are reliable enough if they are maintained correctly but they have some peculiarities. Suggest you take tommays advice and thoroughly check the condition of the engine/ drive package before going much further.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I have an 1986 cobra on a 3.0. It's a fine drive and you should be able to find parts for still quite some time for it. If you ever need anything particular, I can recommend a few places where I can get new and used parts for it.

This is one:

http://www.sterndrive.info/

Hardboiled

Seaman

Wow great thanks.

by the way i found on the boat side says Mercruiser 165hp, this means this Engine is not the original with the boat, the drive probably is but not this 5.0 engine. anyway i will try and fix it and make it work.
Hehe i believe this 20feet boat with that engine got to be fast?
the manifold look good and also the pump on the engine looks New the engine is rusty, the carburetor is missing the top.
The steering wheel is all disconnected on the back of the console, im gonna need a new one i think.

the drive & propel looks good to me, also the boat have a TAG of 2005 so it looks like it was working until then

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you have a Cobra drive, I can assure you it has nothing to do with Mercruiser. They were 2 seperate companies.
The boat was completely repowered, engine, drive, and transom shield.
The 165 Merc was an inline 6. and the drive ratio would have been wrong for a V8. Plus a few other things that wouldn't have fit.

Hardboiled

Seaman

Where i can search for INFO about the Engine and Outdrive serials numbers?

i got the serial i just want to look for info of year, hp ect..
outdrive says T0626083 5.0l

im gonna take a few pictures of the engine later to see what you people think, thanks

Bondo

Staff member

"im gonna take a few pictures of the engine later to see what you people think, thanks"

That would be a Very Good Idea,..........

Considering that the Info you've provided So Far is Got to be Wrong......................

That # you posted Looks like a Mercruiser #............

Just Where do you get the Idea that Any of this driveline was built by OMC,..??..??..??..........

And,..... The Motor,..??..
Is the Distrubter in the Front of the motor,.?. or at the Back of the motor,..??..??........

Hardboiled

Seaman

Outdrive says Cobra Omc with the sticker.
Distributor is in engine front, i need to go buy some batteries for the camara, i will post it today or tomorrow

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Front distributor is definately a ford.