Hey PC gurus

tie_one_on

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a couple problems with my home PC. Some of these may be related, I don't know. I'm running M.S.W. XP

1. My son's AOL IM box pops up when I first log into my site. I have to click the "X" to close it. How can I prevent it from opening on my screen with out affecting his?

2. I can only log into my emails one time after I initial open my site. If I close out my email and try to re-open it, my email won't re-open. Anyone know why?

3. When I log out, I get an End Task box for MSIMN.EXE "not responding". I have to click the "End Task" button. Anyone know why?

Thanks in advance. Oh yeah, please explain in PC ignorant terms so I can understand.

i386

Captain
Re: Hey PC gurus

Maybe I can help with 2 and 3.

Sounds like you're using Outlook Express. You open it once, then close it. You can't open it again. MSIMN.EXE is Outlook Express. You can't open it again because it's still running, you just can't see it.

So you have to figure out what's preventing OE from exiting properly. Go to Tools->Accounts and remove any accounts you're not using. If you've installed any add-on software (Spam/Virus Filters) you may try disabling them for the purpose of testing. If OE "acts right" for your son's login it may be something in your OE profile/mail store. It can be tricky to troubleshoot problems like this. You might get a new OE if you update Internet Explorer since they're packaged together. If you have a recent IE it probably won't help. There's a lot of ways to attack the problem but I won't overload you with them.

See if this article relates to your problem too.

If you get disgusted with trying to fix it you could give Mozilla Thunderbird a try. The interface is very similar to OE and it has an excellent spam filter.

tie_one_on

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm with Boomyal, again I need some real easy instructions to follow. Anyone got eany easy ideas?
Thanks

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

1st the main problem you have is 2 people wanting to use the same computer with different settings. To make things the simplest you need to create 2 users dad - son and then you can have your settings and the computer will operate the way you want for you. That is the easiest.

otherwise you operate under 1 user id and you will be fighting everything your son does and vice versa.

1 - aol im - has muliplte tie ins to browsers and email so there is no SIMPLE way of disabling it, aol makes it on purpose to not disable it easily. You have to go into the options of your email and aol programs and disable the open at startup functionality. Most if not all of the IM programs start up automatically when you open your browser or an email program.

2 - you are not EXITING the email program you are minimizing it OR when exiting it is going to the tray (the bottom right of your screen is there an email icon?) then the IM program is keeping it alive again - so just double click on it and it will come back to the screen.

3 - your son probably has it automatically sign in to IM - thus it is a running program when you go to shut the computer down it cant because the IM is still running. To prevent getting the message you can shut the IM down first then close the computer

or
set up 2 different users
or
I believe there is a setting that allows you terminate without the question being asked.

tomatolord

tie_one_on

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey tomatolord, when you say different users for me & my son are you referring to the "WINDOWS XP - "To begin, click your username". Because we each have different usernames there. If it's something else, can you explain it a little clearer for me.
When I close out my email, I click on the "X" button. By doing this is there a way it minimizes and doesn't exit? If so, can you help me understand how that happens and how to know it is?
Thanks for your help, I hope to get this resolved.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

For # 1 on the AIM messenger, go to Edit > Settings > Sign in / Sign out and uncheck start AIM when windows Starts. Also select None where it says to Display the following, then select Save.
You son may have find the AOL icon to start it when he wants to use it.

For #2, I know this sounds silly, but are you sure you closing it? When you close it, try going to File > Exit and see if that makes a difference.

For # 3 It is related to #2 in that the program is not closing properly.

HTH
Eric

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

tie_one_on

Petty Officer 1st Class

EricKems, I tried to use AIM Edit-Settings- but SETTINGS is greyed out meaning to can't click on it.
Any other ideas.
Also, if I use the File-Exit method, same results, it won't reopen a second time. Any other ideas here?
Thanks.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Greyed out. hmm... Maybe you have to be logged into AIM. Try that or have your son.
Do you have administrator privliges? Go to Control Panel > user accounts and next to your name it should say administrator.

You could also remove the AIM from add/remove programs in the control panel. Then re-install it.

You are using Outlook Express for email, correct?

tie_one_on

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi EricKems, yes it is Outlook Express 6. Does that mean anything?

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

In OE, under Tools>accounts>mail, is there only the one account?

Plainsman said:
In OE, under Tools>accounts>mail, is there only the one account?
Guess tie one on decided to buy one instead. "When you don't speak the language, you become subservient to those who do." (anonymous)

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

On issue #1
Click start,
Then click run,
Then type in the box, msconfig
Then click the start up box,
You will have a complete list of programs that start when windows starts.
Uncheck the box with aol im...it should say AIM-exe..or something similar..
AOL is a mojor pain...

For those of us that work on pc's we call it AOhell...

tie_one_on

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Gary thanks that seems to stop the auto start of AOHell. Now if I could get the other problems fixed life would be good.

Gary said:
On issue #1

For those of us that work on pc's we call it AOhell...

Sounds like the old joke:
You only have two things to worry about; either you are sick or you are well. If you are well you have nothing to worry about. If you are sick you only have two things to worry about; either you get better or you die. if you get better you have nothing to worry about. If you die you only have two things to worry about, either you go to heaven or you go to hell. If you go to heaven you have nothing to worry about; if you go to hell you will be so busy talking to your friends you won't have time to worry about anything. Sure seems to be a lot of people who enjoy themselves in AOhell;)

vipzach

Lieutenant

1) Back-up all of your folders, email, settings and info (I'd suggest using a program such as Genie-Soft's Outlook Express Backup V6.5 -- you can get a fully functional version of this for free as a 15-day trial from download.com).

2) Now, after the back-up, run window's regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Identities. Delete the entire Identities subkey -- the whole branch. (If you want to back-up these registry keys for safety, see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=245419 for detailed instructions. HOWEVER, what you do {if that help topic has already failed for you, as it did for me} is that you do NOT actually restore these Identity Keys later -- because they'll still be corrupt when you restore them. Instead, you'll be recreating everything using the backup program, so these registry keys should only be needed in an emergency.)

3) Run sfc /scannow (note: there is a space before the slash). This might not be necessary, but it can't hurt.

4) Reboot.

5) Start Outlook Express. OE will automatically re-create the "Main Identity" registry key. It will no longer recognize that any other Identities exist. So go to "Manage Identities" and create an Identity with the name you want (it should be slightly different from your old name). This will create a nice, new, un-corrupt identity registry key for you.

6) When OE asks you to enter additional info (internet settings, the email address for the account, etc.) do not fill anything out -- just hit cancel. Your new identity will be created, but all settings and folders will be empty.

7) Now, if you used a proggie like Genie-Soft's Outlook Express Backup, then just quit out of OE altogether. (If you didn't use a back-up program that is
especially made for this sort of OE restore thing, then you'll need use the OE import functions to import all folders and emails and settings from the files you manually backed-up. And you may have to fill in some internet settings and email-address info again, anyway.)

8) Use the back-program to restore your back-up. You'll be given an opportunity to choose what OE identity you want to restore to. Make your choice, hit restore, and ALL of your old settings, emails, folders, etc -- including multiple email accounts -- will be placed inside your new identity.

9) You might need to import your address book separately using OE's internal "import address book" function. Do a search for any wab files on your PC if you can't find your addresses.

10) Everything should work great now. If it does, reboot and check OE again. If everything is still great, then you should find your old (corrupt) OE files and identities and delete them. You can even delete the back-up file if you want to save the space on your PC.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Glad that worked for you as far as AOL start up.

Techno,I always get a good laugh from your posts!8)

tie_one_on

Petty Officer 1st Class

vipzach thanks for the post. I'll have to print it out and read it close. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again to all who tried to help (especially Gary H NC).