En-Light-en me please. Computer question.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Three led lights on my computer. One is the pilot for when it's on, always steady. Another flashes when the hard drive is working. What's the third flashing light for?

ndemge

Commander
Re: En-Light-en me please. Computer question.

Quote from Airplane II:

Buck Murdock: Oh, cut the bleeding heart crap, will ya? We've all got our switches, lights, and knobs to deal with, Striker. I mean, down here there are literally hundreds and thousands of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights, blinking and beeping and flashing - they're *flashing* and they're *beeping*. I can't stand it anymore! They're *blinking* and *beeping* and *flashing*! Why doesn't somebody pull the plug!

tommays

Admiral

floppy disk and cd/dvd drive have lights and over the years there were many other things

Tommays

KaGee

Admiral

Don't you have a service manual??? :p

Do you have more than one hard drive?

I have two hard drive LEDs that light separately when each drive is in use.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Just one hard drive. No manual. $99 puter from a Goodwill kinda biz. Most of the computers I've owned have these. I'm thinking it's some sort of CPU activity indicator. The floppy drive and CD-Rom have their own lights.

Xcusme

Commander

Could indicate a lot of things....best to open case, find make-model number of motherboard. Goto website and d/l manual. It could be for a Power/Sleep/Message Waiting LED.

Paul Moir

Admiral

It's the Turbo light. :D

Most likely the SLEEP/STANDBY light then. I've got mine hooked to the network card though. Is it sort of a random flashing?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Turbo sounds right. I seem to recall that the computer that the ex ended up with said that and it acts like that. It seems rather random and is most active when the computer is actively doing something, but sometimes it flashes when I'm not doing anything on it at all. So what the heck is Turbo?

tommays

Admiral

In the OLD days some computers were so fast :) there was a button to slow it down so some older software could still run

If i recall mine had a 8/16 Mhz button with a light

I have one older DOS flying game that still runs but it runs out of control fast on new computers , it goes through the whole level in about 5 seconds

Tommays

Paul Moir

Admiral

Way back when, the original (IBM) PC ran at 4.77Mhz. Then someone got the bright idea to market a clone of it that ran with an 8Mhz processor. The trouble was, a lot of software just sort of assumed the computer would run at 4.77Mhz and would run too fast at 8Mhz. So they had to put a button & indicator light on the computer to slow it down. It stuck around for about 10 years and was called the "Turbo" switch & light. Never did hear any turbine wind up when I pressed it though. :D

It could very well be network activity then. Try clicking your refresh/reload button on your browser (IE or firefox, etc) and see if it blinks as the page loads. I'm assuming you're running some sort of high speed internet.

I've never heard the power LED called a pilot light before. I'd like to use that phrase too if you don't mind.

EDIT: Too slow... tommays - google "dosbox"

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Is the "pilot light" there to get the firewall back up when it goes out?

:)

Sorry...just had to say it...

-JMW

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

You can open the case, follow the wires to the motherboard and the end of the wires will have a plastic piece that will have what it is written on it as well it may be written on the motherboard.

Xcusme

Commander

"Old days"..."Way back when..." what a hoot.....Remember the keylock on the case front? and round keys? You had the option to 'lock' your keyboard controller so no one could run your computer without the key.....now that was security! duuh , remove a few screws, yank a jumper and you'd 'hack' your way in. Yes siree bob, that was high tech.

ndemge

Commander

Just like the bios password..... cross the jumper to reset bios and off ya go.

I remember my turbo :) vrrrm vrrrm

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

And then there are the old-old days of 80 col punched cards and mag tape you could read by putting a paper on top, sprinkling with a fine iron powder, a quick puff of air and a magnifying glass.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Buy a new puter with only ONE led. You will enjoy its simplicity.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Oh, by the way, a Mac has only one led. 8)

Link

Rear Admiral

I like the term Pilot Light! :)
Can't wait for the next time I need to go to the computer store! :devil:

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Sheesh! Ain't you guys ever heard of "firing up" the old computer? Go ahead. Make fun of the key lock on the back of it. ( Yes, it's an IBM. ) Good Grief! ;)

So how outdated are 100MB Zip drives? :D

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dude....tried to to give mine away way back. Nobody wanted it. It went in the garbage. Paid big bucks for it when it first came out in the eairly 90's I believe.