Volvo Duoprop 'Gimbal" bearing removal

Albe24

Cadet
I don't know if they call it a gimbal bearing or not but i'm trying to replace the outboard bearing in the flywheel housing. looking at it from the bellows I need to remove a "seal ring" and a snap ring,then i can get to the bearing. My question is : how do i remove this seal ring? Thanks.

Re: Volvo Duoprop 'Gimbal

Albe24,

The seal rings can be removed with a pick or flat head. Don't worry about damaging them, because you'll have to replace them anyway. You'll use a set of snap ring pliers to remove to snap rings of course. The best way to do this properly is to remove the flywheel housing. . which means the engine will need to be pulled.

Albe24

Cadet

Thanks for the reply! I'm really not wanting to remove the flywheel housing or engine at this time, when you say to do it properly does that mean it can't be done w/o removing the engine or will it just be more cumbersome?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The only way to get the bearing out is to remove the engine, and take the bellhousing off, It's not an option.
Then change both bearings, not just one. If one is bad (possibly from water? ? ? ) then both will be bad.

Albe24

Cadet

Thanks Don, the problem i've having is a vibration when turning from side to side. I replaced the u-joints a few months ago when experiencing another vibration issue. Everything was fine for several trips and then all of a sudden another vibration developed, so i pulled the u-joints the other day and they look ok,no sign of water intrusion. I'll probably still go ahead and replace them anyway just to be on the safe side. I'm just looking at what else could cause the problem. Any other things i might check? Thanks again...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Maybe if you gave some informaion on what you have, like year and engine model.

Albe24

Cadet

OK, no problem.
The motor is a 1997 GSI, outdrive is a DP-A2. I have not inspected the u-joints internally yet but from the outside they look like the day I replaced them a few months back. The oil in the outdrive looked normal, no signaficant water or metal shavings when i drained it. Could the props cause this vibration when steering from side to side?
Thanks again Don!