leak in lower unit

phralh

Cadet
Winterized this newly bought 1975 evinrude 9.9hp today. When draining lowerunit oil I got milky brown oil, so there's a leak somewhere for sure. Last week I noticed the drainhole was plugged not letting any water out. My question is, could this trapped water slowly been leaking through the shift rod seal down into the gearcase?

//Fredrik

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: leak in lower unit

Pressure and vacuum test the lower unit, after draining all gear oil. Put the lower unit under water and the source of the leak will be apparent.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Milky oil is a sign of water. When you first take out the bottom plug screw you should look closely to see if what looks like almost straight water comes out first, since any water should theoretically move to the bottom of the mixture. In any event, you could simply have a bad washer around the plug screws. I would probably change those, refill it with new oil, and keep a close eye on it next year (check after each use kind of thing) to see how bad the leak is, if it still leaks at all.

As for the lower unit not draining. That would most likely be exhaust crud building up in that part of the motor over time. Whenever the motor is left tilted up, the unburned oil that builds up in the exhaust will drip down into this area and turn into a form of sludge. You could try poking it with something to see if you can get the water to start to drain out, but the best way is to remove the lower unit and clean it out from above. You need this unclogged because this is where the water from the water pump drains out. If you do not get this to drain and the motor goes below freezing, some serious damage may result.

phralh

Cadet

Didn't see any unmixed water when I drained oil and washers looked ok to me. Allready taken care of the plugged drainhole with a piece of wire. I mostly got what looked like water and sand coming out the drainhole.. Will pull lower unit in spring to change impeller, so I'll have a closer look then.

//Fredrik

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

definatly pressure check the unit,if a small leak becomes a big one while running,you into some unessary big expense,you can buy a testor ,or have a local shop do it,and have peace of mind