Updating Software Rant

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Fer the luva rosie!!!!
What is the deal with these software "gurus"? I think I have just "updated" my last program! I will NOT go thru this torture one more time! I have yet to update, upgrade, or reconfigure ANYTHING without running the reconfiguration gauntlet built-into the "new version"! I shoulda stuck with mac, even with it's limitations, it is far superior to this propensity to "add features", or to "make it more user-friendly" we suffer on PC platforms.. I really think these clownz who do this, only do it to keep busy.

Even so, why OH WHY do they insist on overwriting, elliminating, or inserting their own configurations?! WHY can't they leave MY settings alone?
I just updated to "Internet Explorer 7.0". I have been prompted for about a week or so, kept clicking "not interested", but finally gave-in, (as i always have in the past) just to keep the blasted prompt from popping-up in spite of my firewall and pop-up blocker!!!
Well, I stepped in it big time as always.... Took me SIX hours to get the thing to werk, and THEN i had to remove the myriad bogus "virus warning" adware from invading between the prompts to reconfig IE so I could again use it --- after being told repetedly to "shut off all my aplications" (like NORTON AV and my firewall apps).... AAARGH!!!
I want to throw this POS out the winder!!
Somebody tell these programers to get out of my computer. I bought their products in good faith. The LEAST they can do is limit their "improvements" to REAL improvements, and turning-in those who bribe them to write their product plugs into a bogus upgarde route!
They need to get day jobs!!!! @@$$#^&DFS rassa frink!!

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: Updating Software Rant

At first I didn't like it much either 12, but after awhile I got used to it. I'm not sure what settings were changed for you, none of mine were.
I do like the "new tab" feature, under File>New Tab (Mozzila had it first I think).

ricksrster

Commander

I got the IE7 also. I still like Firefox better.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Sorry you had trouble 12. I did it a few weeks ago and didn't have any troubles. But like you, I did not like the changes for change sake. I still might try firefox.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

12Footer said:
Fer the luva rosie!!!!
I shoulda stuck with mac, even with it's limitations, it is far superior to this propensity to "add features", or to "make it more user-friendly" we suffer on PC platforms.. [/color]

Limitations?
Pray tell.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

12Footer said:
Fer the luva rosie!!!!
What is the deal with these software "gurus"? I think I have just "updated" my last program! I will NOT go thru this torture one more time! I have yet to update, upgrade, or reconfigure ANYTHING without running the reconfiguration gauntlet built-into the "new version"! I shoulda stuck with mac, even with it's limitations, it is far superior to this propensity to "add features", or to "make it more user-friendly" we suffer on PC platforms.. I really think these clownz who do this, only do it to keep busy.

Even so, why OH WHY do they insist on overwriting, elliminating, or inserting their own configurations?! WHY can't they leave MY settings alone?
I just updated to "Internet Explorer 7.0". I have been prompted for about a week or so, kept clicking "not interested", but finally gave-in, (as i always have in the past) just to keep the blasted prompt from popping-up in spite of my firewall and pop-up blocker!!!
Well, I stepped in it big time as always.... Took me SIX hours to get the thing to werk, and THEN i had to remove the myriad bogus "virus warning" adware from invading between the prompts to reconfig IE so I could again use it --- after being told repetedly to "shut off all my aplications" (like NORTON AV and my firewall apps).... AAARGH!!!
I want to throw this POS out the winder!!
Somebody tell these programers to get out of my computer. I bought their products in good faith. The LEAST they can do is limit their "improvements" to REAL improvements, and turning-in those who bribe them to write their product plugs into a bogus upgarde route!
They need to get day jobs!!!! @@$$#^&DFS rassa frink!!

Spoken like a true Republican.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

roscoe said:
12Footer said:
Fer the luva rosie!!!!
I shoulda stuck with mac, even with it's limitations, it is far superior to this propensity to "add features", or to "make it more user-friendly" we suffer on PC platforms..
roscoe said:

Limitations?
Pray tell.

because "even with it's limitations, it is far superior to this propensity to "add features", or to "make it more user-friendly" we suffer on PC platforms.."
[/color]

BoatBuoy said:

Yes... Conservative, proud, happy and in yer face as always. :)
Drives ya nutz, don't it, buoy?

Boomyal said:
Sorry you had trouble 12. I did it a few weeks ago and didn't have any troubles. But like you, I did not like the changes for change sake. I still might try firefox.

Well, I guess it's more like "the straw that broke the camel's will to compute" than anything with IE7 itself. This is because they ALL insist on ignoring old configs the way they do.
IE7 STILL wont open on my prefered page, instead sending me to some site trying to sell me it's anti-virus snake oil... AND I CAN'T GET RID OF IT.
Firefox sounds tempting, but it's Sunday morining, and I have a stress test to endure tomorrow... Maybe after the holliday rush, I'll bite another bullet and see if it takes my face off. :)
Thanks for the help tho.. All help is appreciated. :)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......

I also got sick of the Pop-up telling me to Up-grade,.....
So,.... I Did...........

After a Very Short time,..... I just did the "Restore to a Previous Date".........
Now I'm back with the Previous IE,+ No More Pop-ups.....

I Like the old IE,........
'ell,... I'm even using the Pre-XP, IE, Traditional Windows I think they call it..............:love:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea 12'er, just do an uninstall and it will put you back to IE6 or whichever one you had.
I don't like the IE7 and will not upgrade till they make me.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Change to mozilla fire fox.
It is not that explorer is so bad.It is mostly that MS is such a tempting target for hackers,breaking into ms software is every hacker's dream.
I have explorer 7 in reserve,mostly because it is very nicely integrated with e-bay.
As protection I use crap cleaner,spybot,spyware blaster,and lava soft adaware.
If you load yourself up with that package,you will have some overkill and at the same time easy maintenance.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I felt the same way when I went from Windows 3.1 to WFW to Windows '95 to Windows '98 to XP. Very few new features, just rearranged, Then I had to suffer the transition from NT 3.1->3.51->4.0->2000->2003. Each version rearranged what was already there.

Welcome to the world of M/$.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

12Footer said:
roscoe said:
12Footer said:
Fer the luva rosie!!!!
I shoulda stuck with mac, even with it's limitations, it is far superior to this propensity to "add features", or to "make it more user-friendly" we suffer on PC platforms..
roscoe said:

Limitations?
Pray tell.

because "even with it's limitations, it is far superior to this propensity to "add features", or to "make it more user-friendly" we suffer on PC platforms.."
[/color]

BoatBuoy said:

Yes... Conservative, proud, happy and in yer face as always. :)
Drives ya nutz, don't it, buoy?

Boomyal said:

Well, I guess it's more like "the straw that broke the camel's will to compute" than anything with IE7 itself. This is because they ALL insist on ignoring old configs the way they do.
IE7 STILL wont open on my prefered page, instead sending me to some site trying to sell me it's anti-virus snake oil... AND I CAN'T GET RID OF IT.
Firefox sounds tempting, but it's Sunday morining, and I have a stress test to endure tomorrow... Maybe after the holliday rush, I'll bite another bullet and see if it takes my face off. :)
Thanks for the help tho.. All help is appreciated. :)

To change your home page go to tools>internet options and on the first page (the general tab) type in the address you want for a home page)
Project2.jpg

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sidenote.
I went and upgraded to IE7 and my homepage stayed the same, I did not have to change anything.
I then uninstalled it.8)

ZmOz

Captain

How dare they make their products better, more safe, and up to date...completely free of charge! For shame!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Erikems, Thanks for the tip, but --That doesn't werk anymore. Whereas it has not been changed, (and still has my desired link where you indicated ), "res://ieframe.dll/navcancl.htm" is the page EI7 now insists upon at startup. Are there any other areas I might be able to subvert the subversion?
I also tried "internet options", but find no such DLL(ieframe.dll) listed to disable.

ZmOz said:
How dare they make their products better, more safe, and up to date...completely free of charge! For shame!
Free my axe! I've been occupied with trying to correct the damage since friday night (with the obligatory breaks for sanity's sake), with no luck..... Regarding both (it's still fubar, and I am now certifiablly insane).
My time is worth twice weekday value on the weekends. You cannot afford me on saturday night.
I even tried to use my recovery from backup, but forgot that is is setup to overwrite old with new.
So no going back, or "uninstalling" like they claimed I could before I took the bait.... At least, not now that I "overwrote" it.

Besides, you missunderstand my rage, Oz. I can appreciate "free". What i cannot appreciate is this "planned obsolescence" that Techno and boatbuoy eluded to.
A hypothetical fer you: If you were to have a garage addition built on the side of your home, but they didn't put a door from the house on it, and placed the garage door on the back instead of the street side, you'd come close to understanding my "irkhood".

Why can't they keep the software flow the same, and add their bells-n-whistles to things that bells-n-whistles are an improvement to, and still get their plugs in?

ZmOz

Captain

12Footer said:
A hypothetical fer you: If you were to have a garage addition built on the side of your home, but they didn't put a door from the house on it, and placed the garage door on the back instead of the street side, you'd come close to understanding my "irkhood".

If they did it for free I'd buy them a beer...in fact I could use another garage with a door on the back...;)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

:) I hear ya. A kegger and a 2" steak too.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Trying going to the site that you want for a home page, then open internet options and click on Use Current.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Nope.. and in addition, it hasn't changed my prefered site, yet STILL loads that snake oil site on startup regardless of that.

And I can't seem to change it's mind for luv or money. It's very frustrating.