replacing vacuum switch

Johnyk

Recruit
I wrote in about a problem with starting my 1988 9.9Yamaha 4-stroke in August. It would start if I held the plunger down on the carburetor, but not very reliably.

Anyway I never could figure it out and my mechanic tells me I need to replace the vacuum switch. Anyone have any experience with this? Is it do-able by a reasonably handy guy or am I crazy to even try?
Thanks for any help

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: replacing vacuum switch

very easy
get a FACTORY manual

RODBOLT will chime in hopefully

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ohhhhh
you got one o them :).
I will get my training manual out of storage, by memory I cant explain how it works but I doubt its a switch as there are no switches.
there is a bimettalic strip that closes off a vacum port and the associated lines.
describe your starting procedure in as much detail as you can.
in 1988 I went to boot camp and lost a few years of playing with outboards, coupled with the fact in my area I see 2 or 3 a year, maybe.
most everything I work on is V6 and twins or triples. however I have to know the tiny mites. so on this I will go dig my manuals out of storage and play.
I can help me and you in one shot:).
aint the internet great ?

Johnyk

Recruit

thanks for your help.

so for the starting procedure, through a fluke I found that by holding the plunger on the carburetor down, and doing a lot of cranking (electric start), I could usually get her to start up. If I let off the plunger too soon she would stall. That's about all I can say. It would always take at least several minutes.

I checked to make sure there was gas coming out of the fuel pump - there was. I also checked the plugs before I figured out about holding down the plunger and they were dry. I also cleaned the carburetor, including needle valve, a couple of times but I'm not sure that made any difference.

Once the motor was firing for a bit I'd ease off the plunger, and when she got going I could see the plunger suck down by itself.

Once the season ended here (end of September), I took it into the place I'd bought it and I thought they told me I'd have to replace the vacuum switch, but maybe they said "strip" or something else.