a Q For all techs

I know some of you guys read my problem i had with my boat at a repair shop. how they charged me for carb work that was supposed to fix the problem i was having with my boat not wanting to start or run, and only to fiend out it was something totally different,(no spark) that they did not even test until after they did the work on the carbs.
I sent PM to some of you guys asking what is the standard procedure to test a engine when it will not start. only one answered back, so i want to ask all of you what are the first things you check to see what is causing the problem? is there a standard check list you would do to narrow down where the problem is or do you just take a whack at it and see what happens, changing this and that until you finally get it right.
Please answer back on this one.

Re: a Q For all techs

come on guys, no answers on this one :'(
I'll even take answers from guys who don't do this for a living but know there engines.

oh yeah my engine is a 45 hp mercury OB 1987

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

me?
I just draw a work order and do what I need to do to beat the customer out of my truck payment.
or a new pair of shoes or some hay for my stupid horse.
the reasons us techs steal from customers are so varied and many I hate to comment.

well i just wanted to see if all of you have the same standard procedure for trouble shooting a engine that will not start, rather then do like the shop did where i took my boat. I am still fighting them over what they did to me, and I just wanted to get proof to show them what all of you guys would do if you had a boat come in that would not start. I know some of you guys say
1 check fuel
2 check compression
3 check spark
Does everybody do this or is there another test i left out?
JUSTINTIME walked me through his procedure after i found out i have no spark on 3 pistons and i found out it was the switch box all along, not the carbs, stator, or trigger assembly like the shop told me.
I have a relative who has a bass boat that he quit using years ago cause it just wouldn't start one day and he could not afford what the shops in his area wanted. so now from what i learned from here and from JUSTINTIME i am trying to pass it on to him and maybe he wont have to take it to a shop someday.

Thanks for the reply RODBOLT, if you can fix the customers boat for the set price and not stick it to him for more work after you told him this would fix it, i see no wrong on what you spend your money on or what you charge him. if he is willing to pay it that's up to him to decide.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

boat rooki
I hate to admit it but there are more"crocks" in my field than the automotive side I used to be in.
they get a box full of tools and suddenly they are techs.
I am sorry if you got burned.
not all of us are like that.
if there was anything I could do I would.
your engine is incredibly simple to test but half the techs I deal with dont own even 1 DVA meter and most the rest cant interpert what its telling them.
A heartfelt apology but dont lump us all in the same pot.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go to Engine FAQs, Rookie.

Read "Outboard won't start".

Rodbolt is really an honest and expert tech with a warped sense of humor.

I never did lump all of you in the same pot, in fact all you guys on here have helped me out. the shop that i am buying my switch box from even says the same thing you guys say "sounds like a bunch of guessers at that repair shop"
I even tried testing him a little bit to see what he would of done or tested and he said the same things as you guys.
He thought i was joking with him when i told him what i was dealing with. he told me he has done that a couple of times when he first opened his shop, told the customer it was this, and that it would fix the problem. then to fiend out it was something else. he said it hurt, but he took it in the shorts and didn't charge them for anything no labor or parts. they either took there boats home or they let me fix it for the new price, not charge them twice. he told me he took it as a lesson and from then on he checks every little thing he can think of before he gives them a price and sticks to it.

all i want to do is is prove to this shop that there is alot of people that believe in checking every thing to make sure they fiend the problem, not just take a guess like they did.
If i offended you or the other guys with my wording I am sorry

JB thanks for the info. I read that and it is a great article. i printed it out to take with me when i go talk to them to see why didn't they do that type of testing.
Heck all of you guys are great. if it wasn't for this web site, i would still be wondering what is wrong with my engine. I only regret i didn't take all of your guy's advice on trying to fix it my self in the first place, because i ended up doing it anyways. I am gonna take your guy's advise on fighting them. it's shops like them that make the rest of you look bad in the eyes of the consumers.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Easy for initial diagnosis. Fuel or spark.

Access the carbs. Take a can of Sea Foam spray called Deep Creep (contains oil for 2 cycles). Turn the engine over with the starter while spraying into the carb throats.

If your engine "hits", doesn't have to run, just hits, fuel is the problem. If not, spark. Then go after the respective problem. Trouble shooting tips all over this site. Once you know which way to go.

Only way this doesn't work is if fuel is the problem and the problem with it is engine flooding....liken to a stuck carb float valve open.

HTH.

Mark

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

# 4 Check Gear Oil

And all reputable service dealers do the checks before doing anything else. We do # 1 last though....Why?...I have no idea.

well thanks for all the info. it helped alot we had the meeting with the shop and lets just say we came out the winner and we can get on with our life.
i want to thank every body for helping me out.
as far as i am concerned you guys and this web site are a life saver.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Glad it worked out for you. You both gained from this. The dealer didn't loose. Your good word of mouth will surely bring him more customers in the long run, plus he knows he left a happy customer.....not ex-customer.

Mark