Well it's to boring so i redecorated

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
It should be self explanatory..........this winter is going to be expensive .

Picture082-1.jpg

Picture083-1.jpg

Picture088-1.jpg

Picture090-1.jpg

Picture095-1.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Picture037.jpg

As you can see this dog house is eating up a bit to much room here so it's to to size him down a little.

Picture041.jpg

6" inch cut

Picture042.jpg

Quick Patch

Picture044.jpg

Not perfect but better

Picture070.jpg

Next victim here i cut 6" again hope it work's

Picture071.jpg

So far so good and that is a new dog house.

Picture080.jpg

Picture081.jpg

Came back together quite weil, time for some faring and paint.

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Well it's to boring so i redecorated

Looks great!! I like the golden yellow and white

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Tailgunner, you haven't described how you will rejoint the fiberglass doghouse cap.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I'am not a good teacher, but i do read alot. So i just took a small 4" square block.of plywood, aligned the two peices and screwed it together.

Took some biaxle tape and laid it down, glassed it and let it dry.

From there i just made a peanut butter compound and filled in the all the open spaces. 403 Microfibers
was the filling ingredient

Took a angle grinder and cut off all the excess glass. From there it's a lot of work, sanding sanding and sanding till it comes out like a mirror

Geesh boom your a hell of a lot better at explaining thing's like this............ give it a go plz.

Anyway's even a salesman like my self can do this if you read a bit..........8)

Picture107-1.jpg

Picture105-1.jpg

Picture106-2.jpg

The last shot was after fairing, primer and some sanding.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Tail_Gunner said:
I'am not a good teacher, but i do read alot. So i just took a small 4" square block.of plywood, aligned the two peices and screwed it together.

Took some biaxle tape and laid it down, glassed it and let it dry.

From there i just made a peanut butter compound and filled in the all the open spaces. Carbolsol was the filling ingredient

Took a angle grinder and cut off all the excess glass. From there it's a lot of work, sanding sanding and sanding till it comes out like a mirror

Geesh boom your a hell of a lot better at explaining thing's like this............ give it a go plz.

Anyway's even a salesman like my self can do this if you read a bit..........8)

Picture107-1.jpg

Picture105-1.jpg

Picture106-2.jpg

The last shot was after fairing, primer and some sanding.

One of the greatest thing's about fiberglass as long as it's smooth no one know's what youve done.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks great! Any concerns about airflow/cooling with less room around the engine?

-JMW

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

That is of some concern, i have found a heat sheild material that i will insulate both housing's. The motor run's @ 145-160 degree's far below any flame point, that leave's only ventilation issue's.

I will either port the housing using vent's or just install a blowe ( umm maybe both). when i get that far it will be addressed. However there still is 4" inches of clearance on either side of the wall's.

KRS

Banned

I don't think his cooling comment was directly addressed at overheating the dog house (like your answer seemed to address)... I think he's asking if there is enough room for air to get around the engine.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yes creating a draft if needed should be rather simple if needed,there will be futher modding of the housing to assist in overall area.

If ventalation become's a issue i will simply vent the bottom of the housing relying on the heat to create a sort of updraft to aid in ventaltion. Which was not there prior to the mod..........just a stagnat void.

Hmm here's a pic

Picture047.jpg

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Tail_Gunner said:

You did just fine TG, both in the execution and the explanation.

I'm just hoping that you have sufficiently cut of the air supply to you motor, so that when we have that race......8)

Hey I've got a new fiberglass drink holder you can glue to the front of that doghouse!;)

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Boomyal said:
Tail_Gunner said:

You did just fine TG, both in the execution and the explanation.

I'm just hoping that you have sufficiently cut of the air supply to you motor, so that when we have that race......8)

Hey I've got a new fiberglass drink holder you can glue to the front of that doghouse!;)

Ummm this boat is a older 93 starcraft, almost a complete rebuild as of now............cross's finger's. No racing that old girl it will be my personal fishing boat (No KId's Allowed)

As to the race now here ya go

Picture035-2.jpg

Got here up to 56mph and that's not end of it yet. Hmmm but ya know what this boat thing has gotten the better of my judgement she too had some problems .
Picture077-1.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/Tail_Gunner_2006/Picture073-1.jpg

Picture073-1.jpg

The whole damm interior went pink on me ......and by the way anybody close to the portland area if you ever want a custom redone interior i know a shop that will do it outrageously fair.....almost made me question there abilities until i saw some of there work ......

That's the boat were gonna race with..........
26.gif

I've been watchn that contraption ya going there,,,, let me first get by the air issue chiit ya never know..

KRS

Banned

that pink is weird ???

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

KRS said:
that pink is weird ???

Maybe if tailgunner slowed down he wouldn't slop the Thunderbird all over his boat!:p

TG, I didn't realize we were dealin with two different boats here. How bout a complete pics of the two of them?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Not to many pic's of the Strarcraft, just to busy trying to get it going.

Here's one of the boat and trailer, when ever i would get impaitent with one id jump to the other. Used a angle grinder with 60 grit sand paper to cut of the old trailer paint and rust...........cut's it off like butter.

Picture095.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Here's one just getting ready to install the foam, the hair drier was used to heat up the interior and the boat itself, heat will insure proper expansion rate (80+ degrees)

Picture014.jpg

There's one of the faom going in, if you see that little guide on the side, that was used as a stop. i had screwed down the center and left the outer edges open, poured the foam into the holes and let it push up the floor to that guide and the excess would bleed out all over, But i had a very uniform and compacted foam bed when i was done. (no void's)

Picture029.jpg

Ok she's done there, as you can see i just took the cut out's placed them back in the holes and glassed them shut.

Picture032.jpg

Here's a shot of how i tied the floor back into the hull, i tood a angle grinder cur a 1/4 slot along the whole floor and filled it with a mixture called peanut butter ( epoxy and microfiber mix)

Picture065.jpg

There it's all sealed,,,,, hint never use home cheapo epoxy doesnt look good at all but it's sealed.

Picture111.jpg

Noobie's such as my self can thank god for carpet, really clean's it up, here a very sharp blade was needed. I used a 20 oz Berber and unless that blade was almost new it would cut very badly, i also cheated here a bit, used stainless steel staple's to hold down the carpet, it's really a lot of work........... had to take a few day's off after that my arm's were killing but i won the wrestlng match..... at least i thought i did at the time.

Picture219.jpg

Primer's on, i used a 80 grit to scar up the gel, and it really hung on there,Prep here is the key more on that later,

Picture221.jpg

Never took any shot's after sanding down the primer, but i used a 200 grit paper. It took 4 coat's before i was satisfied, it.s very easy to cut off and cut right thourgh, but when it's turn's a glassy purple it's been done right. Personally i used Interlux and a hplv spayer made the painting part to easy.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/Tail_Gunner_2006/Picture262.jpg?t=1165908834

Picture254.jpg

Picture262.jpg

I used bright side's here and again the sparyer, the paint you see is just one coat, I dont believe no could have convinced me a amature like my self could get such oustanding result's with paint. i could almost not believe it. But that led to some trouble, the paint was so nice it made every imperfection in the hull stand out to me like a sore thumb..............sooooo

Picture063-1.jpg

As Don S says ........why is there never enough time to do it right but,,,,,,,,,,,, etc etc etc

And the journey continues.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I thought I was the only goofy one who had two boats in the same class.

What did you use to fill the nicks and dents before you primed? There has to be something that is easier to use than mixing up an epoxy micro ballon peanut butter each time.

I always end up wasting so much when I do that 'cause you can't make a small enough amount.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Actually i had all the nick's and ding's covered, what i had missed was wave's or minor imperfection's from sanding etc.

The paint quality that is finish was so good i felt i just had to try to do it some justice, I will tell you it looked like a very high quality color sanded automotive finsih you'd see on some high dollar exotic car.

For fairng i used interlux fairing, pretty good stuff. It dries incredibly fast or setup's, so you have to have a plan for small area's before you start,

I avoided using a epoxy mix here it can cause blushing or fish eye's in the final finish paint. They do have a primer that will work if you use epoxy but i just didnt like the whole ideal ( little note here, as to prepping if you can sand you hull so it's as flat and smooth as a mirror you will be astonished at the result's and any wave's or distortion's will show if you miss them)

Now as to the floor i went a little off the beat'n track, no pic's here i was just to new and focused on getting it right. (It's a lot of work and stress if you have never done this before) What i ended up doing was gluing two 1/2" plywood stringers together, set them up on the hull, snapped a chalk line around the hull then just cut them to fit.

I had read quite a bit and was concerned about hard point's, so after a litte counsoling from the body shop guy's i bedded ( 1/2") then down on the floor using a 3m product 8609, It's a urethane that's used in sealing window's into car's or truck's and is so strong when dryed it become's part of the frame's strengthing factor.

Wish i had taken some pic's it would be a lot eaiser to understand, anyway's i took a angle grinder again and cut the excess product that had flowed out from the under the stringer's and glassed in some biaxle tape for good measure or peace of mind

THe floor was done the same way, i just had to build a few channel's for the 8609 to set in, laid the floor down on the stringer's and let ti settle to the chalk line.

Went a bit over board on the foam, used 8lb from us composite's, some very strong stuff and it also serve's and a bonding agent for both the floor and hull ,,,,,,,,,,,that stuff bond's as well as any epoxy or glue i have ever seen on wood. Anyway the end result was a floor as hard as concrete and i doubt anyone would ever care to try and cut it all out, i cant imagine the time it would take.

Now here's come's the sad part, prior to paint i had to see if that floor was gonna hold, so it' off to the columbia on a windy day, and it held quite well from what i could see,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but after all that work i had forgotten to do one thing..............:} like check the oil in the leg........and yep i blew her up.

While at the marina crying on a freind's shoulder about my misfortune, he indicated that i was not alone. He had taken it over some time ago, it had been very poorly ran by some previous mgr's and he had found a boat the had been sitting still bubbled wrapped in a warehouse for 4 year's. The lot guy's had just taken it out cleaned it up so he took me to it. :^ the gel had faded there was a dark moss all over it, he just shook his head asking me if i had any ideal's how to market something like this.

It had some edge and after 4 year's of sitting who knew the risk's of all the compiications of how the equipment was going to be.

That is a big problem and im glad it's not mine, so we agreed on how much it would cost to repair the upper leg on the Starcraft. I went out to the lot and started looking at all the new boat's searching for ideals on how to finish my boat off, there were some really beautiful boat's out there making my mind wander on all the thing's that could be done to that Stracraft... bad mistake

On the way in i stooped and looked at the Wellcraft again Umm some buffing, new carpet, turned it on all but one of the gauge's worked, opened up the doghouse, ohhh look efi,,,,, none of the hose's had dried out......the wiring was still soft no cracking. i had one the lot attendant's hook up the muff's it fired up on the second turn........ No smoke at all........ told the attendant to engage the drive, smooth and vibration free.......called the credit union .......ohh 4th of july weekend special rate huh .......4.5 % 7years no down? really.

Picture035-2.jpg

Uhhhh yep i am a owner.......... 8) should have been there when i took it home, my loving wife also known as the war dept, didnt say a thing just looked at it, fortunalty i have 4 children all teenager's and they were ecsatic no longer did they have to be seen in dad's old tub........:love: ........ Thank god for children..........

So you aint the only goofy mofo i assure ya
an19.gif

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

So where do you store the two tubs TG?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

One in the dive way one in the back yard..........:devil: )One of the neighbor's doesnt like that too much.......but when he paint's his barn (house) something other that but ugly boring brown, it work's just fine for me.

Picked up a 10'w x 20'l x 8'h
rewilliams_1927_90961695
with side panel's seem to work great, no rain gets in and lot's of ventalation

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Tail_Gunner said:
One in the dive way one in the back yard..........:devil: )One of the neighbor's doesnt like that too much.......but when he paint's his barn (house) something other that but ugly boring brown, it work's just fine for me.

Picked up a 10'w x 20'l x 8'h
rewilliams_1927_90961695
with side panel's seem to work great, no rain gets in and lot's of ventalation

And as to "those tub's" show my ladie's a little respect will ya............
slap.gif
Geeshhh ya sound like my wife....8)

Damm double post see what ya made me done.........

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Tail_Gunner said:
One of the neighbor's doesnt like that too much

Well you know in Vera Katz's world, it takes a village and if the village doesn't like it........:|

BTW, that's some pretty white concrete. Thought I was lookin a picture of a yard in LA, CA. It won't stay that way long.

What quadrant of Vera's city do you live in? (yeah I know she's gone but her legacy lives on:$:%)