no overtemp light

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I posted this in electrical to no avail. maybe you merc guy know.

I have a boat with a '68 mercury 1000. It does not have a overtemp light mounted in the boat. I was wondering if this motor has an overtemp senser settup and if so what do I need to hook this up.

Does the control box wiring support this system or is there sepperate wiring. I'd like to do this now as the boat is gutted right now.

motor-1.jpg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: no overtemp light

Going to bet you don't. I had a '89 tower and I don't think it had one.

It's not rocket science. It's just a single pole single throw snap action switch that is activated by heat (like a frog clicker you probably played with as a kid, but activated by heat, not thumb pressure).

Come off your accessory connection on your ignition switch (12V as long as engine is receiving 12v) to a 12v lamp of your choosing. On the other side of the lamp run a wire to the temp switch. You should be able to order one from your local Merc dealer. Mine is set for 195F which is a good number.....'02 90 hp.

The switch only has one (brown) wire so you will have to get ground somewhere. I'm not explicitly familiar with the switch if you were holding it in your hand and looking at it (never had mine out and I'm in the house and it's in the garage), but in normal service (factory installation) the outer case ties to the engine block via the water jacket cover) and that is where the ground is made for the light if your engine overheats and the switch closes.

The switch is held, has to be held, in place with a screw (or two) which should go through a hole in the outer shell of the switch. Put a screw/nut thru this hole and put a lugged wire on it to make your ground. Run the other end of the wire to the engine block (ground) somewhere where it's clean and shiny (for a good connection).

The top, rear of #1 cylinder should be the hottest place to be concerned about overheating so that's where I 'd mount it if I were doing it. I would put it on the block, as far aft as it would go just infront of the flange that the water jacket cover attaches to.

I know steel isn't the best conductor of heat, but it should be good enough for what you want so I'd get some JB Weld (2 part epoxy with steel shavings suspended in it) and glue her to the block. If you can find an aluminum impregnated epoxy even better.

No reason why that wouldn't work for you and although it isn't in the water, it's close enough and alum is a great heat conductor so you probably wouldn't be 5-10 degrees off from a factory installation and that's surely a whole lot better than not having one. I lost an engine once because of a stuck stat and no bypass and no alarm.

Mark

Bondo

Staff member

deimus said:
I was wondering if this motor has an overtemp senser settup?
Does the control box wiring support this system?

The Answers are,.........

No.....
And,
No.......

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the info texasmark. I would hate to loose the motor and I know on the lake i'm not always watching the telltail.

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

them yankees shure are smart #$@ses!!:devil:

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

them yankees shure are smart @$$es!!:devil:

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

A water pressure sender and gauge would make more sense, there's probably even a threaded hole on top of that block you could use for it. If there's water pressure your cooling system's working.
Eric

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

any suggestions on a sending unit or brand of guage?

ricksrster

Commander

I added a Teleflex pressure gauge to my motor. the kit included a tee fitting that replaces the telltale's elbow in the block. The tell tale and the pressure tube hook to the tee.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Some boats aren't setup for additional gauges whereas a bulb would be easy to find a spot.......than again, some are.

Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

er ah.....spelling error.....didn't catch it in time.....

than again should be then again. :%

Won't comment on yankees deimus. They are making nice livings for the folks who support population growth.....construction, real estate sales, retail sales, restaurants, etc...........................but geez, where the heck did they learn to drive. 8) 8) 8)

Mark